FORUM

ForumJagged Alliance: Flashback General › Shanga's Proper Weapons Mod v1.0

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Shanga@BP 21-10-2014, 22:29 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 712
Shanga's Proper Weapons Mod v1.0

What is this? Edited weapons names for both general inventory and shops. FC had to use phony names so they don't get sued for copyright infringement. We don't have to. Enjoy. Future versions will include a community debated weapon rebalance, maybe updated descriptions. We'll see. For now this is the basic stuff you need to enjoy the game.

Disclaimer: This mod is very very pre-alpha. I am the only one who tested it. So consider yourself warned. Bad things can happen to your game. I am not responsible for them. The end.
PS: When FC will re-enable Modding for JAF we will re-issue this in a safer, mod-friendly, format.

See below for Chris K update/patch.

Report Quote
Chris K 21-10-2014, 22:43 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 242

I should have known you wouldn't need more than a couple of hours to finish your first mod. :D
Thank you very much for your work on this. I'm busy getting a video review done and I might not have any time to play after that for a couple of days, but I am definitely gonna use it once I've got time.

Looking forward to what else you and the other guys from Bear's Pit can do for the game.

Report Quote
Roman 21-10-2014, 22:57 CET
Administrator

Total Posts: 106

great! can't wait to try it myself ;)

Report Quote
Deadly3H 21-10-2014, 23:38 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 9

Awesome Shanga, thanks!

Report Quote
drg8888 22-10-2014, 02:55 CET

Total Posts: 2

Awesome job as always Shanga.

Report Quote
PeaI 22-10-2014, 09:08 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 35

Quoted Roman:

great! can't wait to try it myself ;)

lol ;D

Nice shanga!

I will try to make new weapons with fitting graphics, I'll start on the upcoming weekend. Hopefully I'll only have to edit xml's ^^

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 22-10-2014, 10:56 CET
Pledger

@Peal - if you mean a mod for inventory images (not 3d models ingame), then all you need are PNGs and a lot of patience to edit those JSON files. You need to declare your new file names in both FileResources.json and Weapons.json and you should be good to go.

Report Quote
adityas 11-11-2014, 04:10 CET

Total Posts: 15

Weapon's name back to normal :)

Report Quote
Chris K 11-11-2014, 04:14 CET
Pledger

I forgot to post this here as well.

I updated the weapons.json file (text mostly copied from Shanga's mod):
http://www.file-upload.net/download-9817090/Weapons.json.html

I didn't update the arms dealer, but I think Shanga's mod should still work for that.

Report Quote
Django 11-11-2014, 09:36 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 56

Quoted Chris K:

I forgot to post this here as well.

I updated the weapons.json file (text mostly copied from Shanga's mod):
http://www.file-upload.net/download-9817090/Weapons.json.html

I didn't update the arms dealer, but I think Shanga's mod should still work for that.

You might want to look through that again. The descriptions are in the wrong file. So they are not working.

They dont belong into weapons.json the row there is a kind of link to the lokalization files. The Weapon descriptions are in ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jagged Alliance Flashback\game_Data\StreamingAssets\Original\Localization\US

Maybe that was changed when german lokalisation came along.

Report Quote
Chris K 11-11-2014, 11:29 CET
Pledger

Thanks. Yes, that was recently. You are probably right and it happened with the german localization.

Updated link:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-9827225/weapons-names-mod-1.0.5-eng-ger.rar.html

I included Shanga's arms dealer files. I didn't test it, but it seems like they didn't change, so it should work.

I also included modded German files. The description for the Obrez and the Garand was changed in the english version, I translated those as well. If you liked the old ones better, just copy them into the file from the originals.

Of course you should always make a copy of your files, but I also included the vanilla files in case someone forgets.

The RAR file includes the correct path, so you can just extract it into your Jagged Alliance Flashback folder.

Please let me know if anything is wrong. In that case, I'll update this post with an updated link when I get around to fixing it.

Edit: Arms dealer files don't work. I'll update those later. When the weapon is equipped, it still shows the wrong name. I'll have to figure out how to change that.

Edit 2: I got the arms dealer to work and I fixed the wrong prices in the german version (copied from english version, so it might not be 100% correct). You have to start a new game for equipped weapons and weapons in the sectors to get their real names. Droping them, reloading a saved game etc. doesn't seem to work.

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 11-11-2014, 23:19 CET
Pledger

Thanks a lot Chris. I've removed the download link from my text and pointed every to your patch. I don't plan to update this mod now, until they add the new shops so any help on keeping it working is welcome.

Report Quote
Lord Hyperlord 12-11-2014, 11:39 CET

Total Posts: 10

Both of you, thank you very much all the work you did already (Cam, Flashbang, [...]).

@Chris: I would like to give your modifications a try but lastly don't want to start a new game (since I already did that for Patch 1.05) - will the Trader have the correct item names and prices if I would load a saved game? And might the game "break" or crash when I continue playing with your modifications applied? I know you can't betatest this to every extend, just courious.
(running the German language settings)

Kind regards and keep up the great work!

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 12-11-2014, 11:49 CET
Pledger

It's strange that weapon names don't update without starting a new game. Because everything else is dynamic and can be altered on the fly.

Report Quote
Chris K 12-11-2014, 12:18 CET
Pledger

New weapons you get (I only tried buying one (didn't get lucky otherwise), but should be the same for found weapons) show the correct names, so my guess is that the game saves the weapon names somewhere in the save game. It's still strange because the same weapons get the updated names in the description.

@Lord Hyperlord:
You shouldn't get into any trouble without starting a new game, you'll just still have the fake names on weapons you already have in your possession once you equip them (or if you left them in a sector somewhere). As you said, I haven't tested extensively, but it shouldn't affect your game in a negative way, except for the mixed names (some weapons with real and some with fake names). German or English version shouldn't make a difference, except for me making a mistake - in that case please let me know.

You even just need to change the language for the trader to show the real names, not even re-start the program. You'll get weapons with the real names from him after installing the mod as well. Keep in mind that you might have 2 of the same weapons with different names dependent on when you got the weapon.

Report Quote
Lord Hyperlord 12-11-2014, 12:45 CET

@Chris K: Thanks for getting this straight!

Report Quote
Lord Hyperlord 13-11-2014, 09:31 CET

Hey guys,

just reporting back. I installed the mod yesterday and continued playing with my savegame. No problems!

Finally I can interact with the trader in a lesser lottery-mode. It happened (befor the mod) that I bought TONS of ammo for my rifle (trader said 7.62mm for 100$) but I got TONS of different ammo than bought (.45). Now the trader doesen't offer the ammo he isn't selling and I receive, what I buy :-)

Report Quote
Chris K 13-11-2014, 14:48 CET
Pledger

Glad to hear that it's working so far. Please let me know in case something doesn't seem right.
If you just care about the prices, you can also switch the language to english for the trader and switch it back afterwards, btw (without using the mod). The weapon names should be identical for both languages, so that shouldn't screw up your game in any way.

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines