FORUM

ForumJagged Alliance: Flashback General › I'm left feeling sad....again - Strategy game of the year 1999

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

chd4000 27-10-2014, 09:07 CET

Total Posts: 14
I'm left feeling sad....again - Strategy game of the year 1999

1. So wheres the micro manegment of the old JA gone...this game has left me feeling unatached to the mercs...and game play.

2. Hardly any interaction on in the game play in the map tiles

3. How can the game feel so detached when there is a baseline of fans and the old JA games to build upon...this game just dosen't draw my interest in the way JA Wildfire does. Can anyone explain why or does anyone agree with me?

Where has the 2pocket vest gone, building up to a 5pocket vest, I can carry everything straight away, no merc development in game, no feeling of progress...etc...etc...etc. THis type of game demands micro management and building a game rappor........ 

Loyal fan from 1995..........20yrs nearly! I also gave feedback during developemnt!!!

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 27-10-2014, 09:47 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 863

1. As we speak FC is working on a completely new shop system and loot table balance. And weapon attachments. And different types of ammo. And more. You''ll get alll these in the upcoming weeks.

--

2. Ever tried throwing a grenade? You know that almost everything in JA:F is destructible? Right now at a basic level (goes POOF and it's gone), but as it is refined, you'll get chain explosions, stuff that goes boom when you shoot them with guns, etc.

--

3. In the last twtich stream Thomas Lund, the CEO of FC, agreed to a community wide plan that will allow fans to be even more involved in two major areas:

a) voice files, music, mini scripted scenes like in JA2, maps, localization files - stuff that's high quality and made by people with good modding skills WILL GO INTO THE GAME. I will detail this soon enough.

b) FC has a huge list of things to do for the game; so far they have been trying to prioritize this and that over that and this, with conflicting results - so we discussed a plan which will allow FC to present an optional roadmap to the community to pick for the X upcoming weeks; so the community would basically pick the new features to add that are the most important to them, with a clear understanding how long that would take and what has to be postponed

--

4. Merc evolves in the game, you gain exp points and you invest them in skills AND you open perks (which is new). What are you talking about? As for the UI, it's different but it is what it is - right now you have quick slots on armor (a la v1.13 LBE) and soon attachments on weapons...

--

Point is, you need to give yourself time to discover the game before claiming it sucks. Fight the AI on Garcia (2nd island), it's completely different than the dumb AI on first island. Blow stuff up. Tweak weapons. And have a bit of patience...

Report Quote
chd4000 28-10-2014, 07:55 CET

I'm left feeling sad....again

Thanks for all that...however this game at the moment is bland at best...which will turn people away and strangle cashflow needed to allow game to evolve...personly I have patients but doubt people other than a hardcore fan will have.....unless its changed quickly....

Report Quote
Shadow86 28-10-2014, 08:59 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 216

Lets see how it looks in 2 month. Maybe its getting on a new level. If not than I guess most of the fans and customers will go back to Ja2 or will move on.

Report Quote
Sofos 28-10-2014, 09:34 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 24

Are there any plans involving the following:

1. Jumping over fences

2. Opening - closing doors

3. Manipulating on world items

4. Climbing on roofs

5. Side, back stepping

6. Stealth movement (inticator?)

7. Interruptions

Report Quote
chd4000 30-10-2014, 07:50 CET

Great start to my post...thanks, so its not just me that thinks the game is on one level from start to finish. Come on JA:F you had the recipie for the games success it just needed the graphics updating which you have done!

Get the game play to match that of the game from old...easy!!! it was done for you 20yrs ago....it didn't win strategy game of the year in 1999 for nothing.....its about micro manegment, building up a rappor with improvements in skill, kit, weapons & add ons, difficulty...etc...etc...etc. Bottom line is this game at present is a one level flat game. No Roof. No goinig into mines. Can't turn mercs to face enemy/chosen direction?...No interaction in tiles and they feel confined to a little area!!!. No speech files (read everything) come on.....non of this is new

I SO WANT THIS GAME TO WORK...

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 30-10-2014, 12:20 CET
Pledger

chd4000 - you can turn, rclick on direction you want and use LOOK command, weapon addons are very close to coming on your desktop and while there are no rooftops and mines, did you visit OSIM base? That's underground and looking sweet. Also all the speech files mercs had in BIA are in the game. Thomas said his PERSONAL WISH as much as ours is to make the merc interactions work too. Not easy to make because there are a lot of dynamic code checks to write, but it's coming.

What do you mean about "interaction with tiles"? Opening/closing doors and lockers? Cause I can interact very much with my tiles once i drop a grenade on them...

Btw, you do know that in JA2 you do not have REAL roof-top combat, right? That everything that goes on the screen is a 2d animation (right-left, up-down)? And what you THINK it's a rooftop it's actually just a trigger that makes your merc APPEAR to climb something. But he's still on level ground, his bullet trajectories don't change. The height is just in your mind, it's a smart visual gimmick...

In a 3D game where you have depth all that extra layer calculations can't be "faked". They need to be real trajectory calculations that take into account height (since the bullet will be now travelling up/down too). Not impossible, but when you add to that doing a whole new set of assets, writting a transparency layer for them (so you can see inside the buildings), making a new set of animations, making roofs colapse properly, etc, etc, the list of things to do is pretty long. It's just like Elite:Dangerous and planetary landings. Why do you think Braben didn't want to put landing in the base game? Because they add such an important layer in the whole experience they cannot be rushed as a side-project.

Report Quote
chd4000 31-10-2014, 12:41 CET

QUOTE from this forum ~

There is a lack of exploration. There simply is nothing to discover. The original had objects you could interact with (cupboards, fridges, crates, etc..) and stuff you could find and craft. Even stuff that had little direct use.

Can't combine ammo clips to get a full one? This is just irritating. I kept reloading my pistol and it just kept switching between 2 and 3 bullets.....

etc...

I also see the game is now £12:49 on Steam (and its being slated)....can this game survive??? I paid £25 but am not bothered if the game is developed into the JA:F it should have been from the start...even the user interface is basic, come on guys its make or break time unless you have pots of cash...

Report Quote
iiiVaLOiii 31-10-2014, 13:02 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 59

watch shanga's youtube channel, there'S this interview with the boss of FC. I felt better after watching it...

Report Quote
Chris K 31-10-2014, 13:32 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 277

Quoted chd4000:
QUOTE from this forum ~

There is a lack of exploration. There simply is nothing to discover. The original had objects you could interact with (cupboards, fridges, crates, etc..) and stuff you could find and craft. Even stuff that had little direct use.

Can't combine ammo clips to get a full one? This is just irritating. I kept reloading my pistol and it just kept switching between 2 and 3 bullets.....

That quote is from an EA build, so those things have improved since then.

- Lack of exploration: They added more useful items and afaik (not sure when exactly they did it) they added quite a few containers since then, that make exploring more useful. It still could need some improvements and more features (lockpicking etc.), but they did already improve it.

- Can't combine ammo clips: Now, everything works with ammo boxes. As long as your merc has enough ammo, you are fully reloading your weapon.

The game still needs a lot of work imho, but I feel like FC is on the right track, especially if they really work with the modders in the future, which seems to be the plan.

Report Quote
Florn 31-10-2014, 23:08 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 18

Woo that's the speech from JA2? I didn't recognise them. The French girl is rather funny, eventually her English accent is French but her French accent is... British, lol.

Report Quote
DocSchneider 02-11-2014, 19:03 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 4

Later, later, later.... Well, if I read those reviews I dont't think they will sell many more copys. I hope they won't run out of money and stop the support....

All those promises about following content. I actually have a bad feeling about this.

Report Quote
Glettkin 05-11-2014, 18:42 CET

Total Posts: 138

Quoted DocSchneider:

Later, later, later.... Well, if I read those reviews I dont't think they will sell many more copys. I hope they won't run out of money and stop the support....

All those promises about following content. I actually have a bad feeling about this.

...me too, realisticly speaking 1.04 is almost everything they could do. I don´t think there is coming much more content or changes because of the lack of money coming in. Maybe 1.05, but nothing more...I believe the FC team is fit to create a good JAF, "IF" they had the money, but there´s no money to do so. Sad but true. Money rules the world, not dreams.

The reviews and first impressions of players killed it off. Everybody on the forums said this would be coming. 

edit: especially the main theme of the game isn´t there yet. Modding! Modding could have been the theme that makes the game good, but its not there yet. I hope it will be.

AND: they have enough to do to estinguish the game breaking bugs. This will be no1 in the schedule. After that i don´t know what funding is left. Probably not much.

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 05-11-2014, 20:04 CET
Pledger

1.0.5 is coming with pretty big changes and they're not even warming up. I know cause I've tested the alpha build the last week.

Stop mourning, start playing.

Report Quote
Kirro_2014 06-11-2014, 01:01 CET

Total Posts: 13

1. corpses disappear from the sector

2. No 2nd floor

===

game is VERY far from ja2 what was make in 1999 !!

bad engine ... new X-com unreal engine is much better !

===

no physX support, what can use Unity engine ... - particle, apex destruction & ect. ....

very very far from original ja2 ...

and ULTRA far from ja2 1.13 !!

Report Quote
Kirro_2014 06-11-2014, 01:08 CET

:)

Report Quote
Django 06-11-2014, 08:04 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 113

Quoted Kirro_2014:

2. No 2nd floor

===

[...]

Dude, seriously this is a remake of JA1. It was never the goal to resemble JA2, they said from the start thats not possible with their budget.

And with the dissapearing bodys, decals, not remembering the position of the mercs and all that im sure its on their to do list. They already said its a long list.

Report Quote
chd4000 06-11-2014, 08:19 CET

Quoted Shanga@BP:

1.0.5 is coming with pretty big changes and they're not even warming up. I know cause I've tested the alpha build the last week.

What you can't say to peple is the last bit of your quote!

This is how people are feeling Shanga...me included, this game at present is of  mediocre playable intrest at best with not much holding interest!!! its like trying a marathon on a empty stomach.

I'm hoping the future is bright but its far...far...far away from the game that people want to see and unless the big changes come which include

micro manegement, better interaction, better interface, more exploration in tiles, sound files...etc...etc...etc...rrrrrrrrrrrrrr 

this game will die. "FACT" Just like Brigade E5......rubbish too.

Why can't you scroll through the mercs in the interface, having to click on the face everytime is a pain too! come to think of it the interface is poor to, its flat no depth....just as game is...AT PRESENT that is ((hoping for major change) fingers crossed))

normally I wouldn't have continued my posts but im trying to support it, but at the present it dont hold my interest....

Report Quote
JayM 06-11-2014, 11:28 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 68

Quoted Shanga@BP:

The problem is - it's unplayable at the moment. Not only because of bugs that people are stumbling on but because it is not a very good game in its current state. It's not enjoyable the way it is right now - guess why it scores so badly in all the reviews? I'm not playing it at the moment and I'm waiting for the game to be fixed and improved so I can finally enjoy what I paid (lots of money) for.

Report Quote
Rotozey 06-11-2014, 13:40 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 28

Quoted Sofos:

It's not so easy.

This very small feature produces many consequnces.

We'll start to ask for locks and lockpicking, for crowbars and door breaking and OMG we will ask for shooting doors! :)

We will ask for keys and C4.

Of course we will ask for traps and a possibility to disable "unsafe" doors.

And once we would get all these features (nom nom nom) we will ask for same things for boxes and lockers.

Report Quote
gus.fring 06-11-2014, 14:47 CET

Total Posts: 16

Quoted Rotozey:
Quoted Sofos:

It's not so easy.

This very small feature produces many consequnces.

We'll start to ask for locks and lockpicking, for crowbars and door breaking and OMG we will ask for shooting doors! :)

We will ask for keys and C4.

Of course we will ask for traps and a possibility to disable "unsafe" doors.

And once we would get all these features (nom nom nom) we will ask for same things for boxes and lockers.

So that's why we rather shouldn't have any doors at all?

Report Quote
Rotozey 06-11-2014, 15:04 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 28

Quoted gus.fring:
So that's why we rather shouldn't have any doors at all?

You said :)

Report Quote
Kirro_2014 06-11-2014, 16:29 CET

Quoted Django:
Quoted Kirro_2014:

2. No 2nd floor

===

[...]

Dude, seriously this is a remake of JA1. It was never the goal to resemble JA2, they said from the start thats not possible with their budget.

And with the dissapearing bodys, decals, not remembering the position of the mercs and all that im sure its on their to do list. They already said its a long list.

will be wait for update .... 

but I do not think that something will changed...

____

Report Quote
chd4000 06-11-2014, 17:21 CET

Over 14000 views of the release trailer on Youtube....if the game had been as good as the old JA that could would have equated to 14000+ extra sales (maybee) From the trailer it looks like a brilliant remake...hopefully the near future turns the game style/play/content/menus/etc around 

Food for thought FC...

Report Quote
chd4000 06-11-2014, 18:58 CET

A new release is out...hopefully a step in the right direction. fingers crossed...

Report Quote
iiiVaLOiii 06-11-2014, 19:31 CET
Pledger

are ppl still crying? I played for about 40 hours now and the game never crashed once on me... Nor had it bugs which would have forced me to reload or whatever... Sure, sure, there could have been so much more and so much could have been better but that's simply how it is, getting down with an indie studio even barely finishing kickstarter.. I'm tired of ppl only able to say that it was bad.. Rather do something constructive.. I mean, I agree that a lot is missing and that a lot is unpolished and sometimes even amateurish but with a little research ppl could have figured that out before buying... 

I guess my point is, better be happy with what you have than having nothing... It's not like JA:F was catering to the call of duty audience and if it was than Full Control would have never got their hands on it but activision and their corporate cohorts...

Report Quote
Kirro_2014 06-11-2014, 23:26 CET

ok,

good ...

Report Quote
chd4000 07-11-2014, 07:11 CET

What a load of drivel iiiVaLOiii. If people were as begnin as you the game would just flop with no explanation. I appreciate your comments and if you want to get on with it thats fine but I can assure you that you are in the MINORITY maybe 100 people tops.

Also I paid my £25 with plenty of research, infact if you read my post I gave feed back during game dev...anyhow I bought this game from start at £25 to support it....not to feel ripped off and complain my friend!!!!!!!!!  

What I'm doing is giving much needed feed back for this game to evolve and not die because your comments will leave this game with no future direction to aim for.

Report Quote
babawong 07-11-2014, 09:25 CET

I am pissed off a bit about kickstarter. $350.000 wasted lol.

1.13 or ja2 developer please help us! :)

Report Quote
babawong 07-11-2014, 09:30 CET

another game looks good.

maybe its a alternate : http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/videos

Report Quote
iiiVaLOiii 07-11-2014, 18:10 CET
Pledger

hey chd4000,

I said "rather do something constructive !",  I did NOT say that everybody who doesn't like the game should shut up!

After all, I agree with you that constructive criticism, before and after release, is very important and very much needed to improve the game. 

What I'm sick of is all that stupid nonsense like " omg, that games sux, I want my money back, scam" and alike...

JA:F is a niche game for a very small market, means that people cannot expect wonders from a small indie studio with such a small budget.. But.. rather be happy with what you have, than only complaining how bad it is without giving any feedback what exactly bad is... 

Badawong,

that's true, dead state is awesome. Gives the zombie genre even a fresh spin : )

Report Quote
Glettkin 07-11-2014, 19:35 CET

@iiiVaLOiii   

I also did not think your post was offensive in any way. Maybe there was some kind of misunderstanding.

I guess the point is that you HAVE to be mourning about things you don´t like. I do that a lot, although i love JAF for beeing made, imo its important to cry about things. Otherwise everyone thinks everything is alright, though it isn´t. To improve sth. (when you´re not in charge) you have to mourne about it in the forums. If you say its alright, it will not be changed or tweaked.

In the end we all want the game to improve. Otherwise i wouldn´t be this active in the forums.

Report Quote
chd4000 07-11-2014, 22:05 CET

Quoted chd4000:

Loyal fan from 1995..........20yrs nearly! I also gave feedback during developemnt!!!

I don't think your post was offensive?

I have all JA releases and feel I know what I'm saying...Why call it JA, Why go for the small market if you don't like its small fan base...why ask the old JA comunity about things....this game won't suceed if your looking for support for a game that was strategy game of the year 1999 from its loyal fanbase...fact! if youdon't follow the basics of the game we love.

I'm feeding back cos I don't want it to fail...maybe no one even takes notice but I have said my bit as everyone who has purchased the game is entitled to :-)

Report Quote
iiiVaLOiii 08-11-2014, 07:29 CET
Pledger

yo glettkin,

it is indeed, like in RL politics for example, necessary to complain loud enough so that things that ain't right can be recognized but the game is released for some time now and therefore people should start terrorizing the feedback sub-section of the JA:F forums with what exactly is wrong with the game instead of still bursting out with narrow-minded comments which only indicate that the game was bullsh*it. 

People should at this point start writing their own laundry lists of what is wrong with the game from their point of view and share it with devs and the community so that we can finally together help improving it...

IMHO, we're simply way beyond the initial point of "this game sux"... 

Report Quote
adityas 09-11-2014, 02:01 CET

Total Posts: 15

So, this JAF is XCOM wannabe? I hope not. I miss the old JA.

Report Quote
Glettkin 09-11-2014, 02:08 CET

Quoted adityas:

So, this JAF is XCOM wannabe? I hope not. I miss the old JA.

Nobody replied to your thread that was called the same as this post. Don´t you think that means something?

Report Quote
Tmib 09-11-2014, 03:05 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 82

Just updated the game again and tried to play. I see some progression. (Small little steps ahead.) I just think this game was not ready to release. I guess it must get like 25 more updates, until it's ready and we can say: "Yes, it's a full game." However with this 5 or so updates the game is looking better than on the release 1.00 version. The fight is better, I was able to actually do some shootout with my team and captured 3 sectors. (When I tested the release version, I got massacred, it was pathetic.) But now the game feels slighhtly better. :) It needs tons of new updates though. 

Report Quote
Tmib 17-11-2014, 00:27 CET
Pledger

I played a couple hours with the game today, and I must say that I getting likeing it. If I don't think of the annoying bugs and the 1-2 crashes I must say that I had fun with it. (Also, the wife - motel mission was funny, it was kinda JA2-ish humour.) 

Report Quote
iiiVaLOiii 17-11-2014, 01:40 CET
Pledger

Quoted Tmib:

I played a couple hours with the game today, and I must say that I getting likeing it. If I don't think of the annoying bugs and the 1-2 crashes I must say that I had fun with it. (Also, the wife - motel mission was funny, it was kinda JA2-ish humour.) 

shadow had to take point in my playthrough coz my custom merc was to weak for her : D

Report Quote
Tmib 17-11-2014, 13:26 CET
Pledger

I guess it was the right decision then, that I sent Ivan in her room. :D

Report Quote
Glettkin 17-11-2014, 16:29 CET

I´ve sent Hard Hitter first :) Thought he would honor his name. Well...

Report Quote
Florn 22-11-2014, 12:28 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 18

I don't want argue with anybody, neither the pure haters that just love hate, nor the dreamers that got disapointed by their unrealistic dreams not satisfied, not even the faithful fans of JA2 shared between those that just can't bear JAF because it's not JA2, and those that see some good points but mainly expect it will improve and try put light pressure on the dev.

Clearly the game has some bizarre elements that are weird, like the quests log, the shops, the real time phase at entrance of an area for combat, some obstacles that unintuitivelly allow shooting through, some weapons totally pointless in comparison of other waepons in same or previous shops, many glitches and minor bugs at least on Mac version, for sure some AI behaviors are sometime bizarre, more.

But for me it's a great lite lite JA2 merged to a great team modern combat turn based game, with combats with a nice level of randomness, in fact for me quite unique in such game. Moreover it has a gameplay fluidity I can't find back in JA2 combats, and gameplay mechanisms I can't find back in JA2 and that change a lot the gameplay and for me makes the combats a lot more fun despite all the flaws:

- Depper cover gameplay than in JA2, in JA2 it's just obstacles gameplay and the JA2 AI isn't even close to match JAF elite AI for cover management. Just that pojnt is a huge change of gameplay I can't find at all in JA2.

- Great design trick of weapons range and view range quite longuer than spot range, that's just huge and this is a big influence on the global gameplay and I find it very very fun.

- The weird startup real time when entering in an area for combats, ended be an element I succeed enjoy a lot be seeing it as a great setup of combat first phases. If I had more control they would end in more repetition than what achieves that system. This point isn't fully tuned, it's fully playable only at Normal and Hard, at Impossible there's a very minor risk that you both don't spot the enemy before he spot you and they can cumulate 2 or 3 shots upt to kill a mercenary. The trick is spot first is the main goal ie cover all directions, but at Impossible there's rare case that even this won't ensure avoid a death at start, well happened me only once for now. the second element to tune  in that mechanism is player option for increased random, sometimes defense can chain combats in a same area and an option for more startup random would be very cool.

- Much much better UI for pure mouse only use and despite the overall UI has some weird points.

That's it, I just wanted add my little voice, I won't lost time argue.

Report Quote
Bibmo 25-11-2014, 20:24 CET

Same for me here,

as much as i want i cant get in love with the overal look and feel.

i always have to look at the forum background image and miss maby whats in my imagination.

im worried where this leads.

Report Quote
chd4000 22-02-2015, 08:11 CET

~~Shockingly, the large majority of the JAF development team was formed by a group of unpaid interns (mostly students) with no solid experience in game development.

Significant parts of the game were developed by unpaid interns, including but not limited to: large parts of level design, 3D modelling, and sound.

FC was fully aware that they shipped a subpar game. It is evident that all resources were put on developing Space Hulk instead of JAF.

If the above is true, and the link in post seems to sugest its true then thats why my first comments about the game feeling empty were right? Have we all been conned????

~~I'm left feeling sad....again - Strategy game of the year 1999

1. So wheres the micro manegment of the old JA gone...this game has left me feeling unatached to the mercs...and game play.

2. Hardly any interaction on in the game play in the map tiles

3. How can the game feel so detached when there is a baseline of fans and the old JA games to build upon...this game just dosen't draw my interest in the way JA Wildfire does. Can anyone explain why or does anyone agree with me?

Where has the 2pocket vest gone, building up to a 5pocket vest, I can carry everything straight away, no merc development in game, no feeling of progress...etc...etc...etc. THis type of game demands micro management and building a game rappor........

~~~~~~I SO WANT'ed THIS GAME TO WORK...but looks dead in the water as I predicted. HAS T. LUND totally mislead us???????????????

Report Quote
JayM 22-02-2015, 18:04 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 68

Quoted chd4000:

~~Shockingly, the large majority of the JAF development team was formed by a group of unpaid interns (mostly students) with no solid experience in game development.

Significant parts of the game were developed by unpaid interns, including but not limited to: large parts of level design, 3D modelling, and sound.

Where does this information come from? If that is true that would be absolutely shocking indeed. And probably a case for lawyers.

I've almost finished the game and I sadly have zero interest in finishing it. I'm starting to think that the original kickstarter backers should consider a class action suit over false advertising/promises. Any backers with a law degree here?

I've tried to stay constructive and positive, but having played 40+ hours I have to say this game is absolute rubbish (and I've been playing JA plus various mods since the first game came out in 1995). Personally I feel cheated by FC. Maybe not with malicious intent, but still.

Under normal circumstances I would buy Space Hulk Ascension as I think I would like it. But having already paid way over the odds for JAF I don't feel like giving FC any more money.

Report Quote
Scope112 23-02-2015, 03:27 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 55

I suggest the people in this thread to read the thread 'No more dev support?'

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines