FORUM

ForumJagged Alliance: Flashback General › Finally bought the game and.....

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

nerdherd 26-12-2014, 22:10 CET

Total Posts: 6
Finally bought the game and.....

I've been following this game for about six months before the release because that was when I first heard of it. At that time I thought that for sure I was going to buy it immediately when it is released. As things progressed I started to change my mind because it seemed like it was horribly incomplete and rushed when released and decided to wait. Now that the updates have greatly progressed the status of the game I'm happy to have bought the game. I put in a lof of hours back in the day in JA and JA2 and some things I noticed with Flashback that I thought could use some attention:

- The camera : utterly dreadful how you can only rotate the camera in something like 90 degree blocks. I realize there is a mod for this and big thanks to whomever made it, but I thing the ability to freely rotate the camera is something that should be incorporated into the game.

- Ability to shoot inanimate objects : Perhaps I just didn't figure out how to do it, but it seemed like I was not able to shoot my weapons at will towards random inanimate objects to alert the enemy. This was something I liked to do in JA2 after setting up some kind of a trap. Is there a way to fire if you don't shoot towards an enemy?

- Explosives: I only have limited time with the game, but are there any explosives in the game besides grenades? If not, any plans on adding TNT, C4, RPGs and the like? Using explosives to destroy stuff in JA2 was big fun and a big part of the enjoyment.

All in all, though, so far I really enjoyed the game and am happy I bought it. I realize it is still a work in progress, but it does look really promising if they have the finances, energy and intent to keep adding features that are missing.

Report Quote
Django 27-12-2014, 09:12 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 113

1. + 1

2. There is no free shooting at the moment. As far as i know this is a design choice. Maybe the devs wanted to prevent that the players kill the civilians with death squads and put video clips of it on youtube. If they would add city moral and/or civilans which fight back that shouldnt be a reason anymore.

Shanga had a long lets play session together with some devs (3?). A lot Questions are asked and talked about there. You should watch it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/256010/discussions/0/613940109873043502/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-uknIW7SJlIZrZFtCSPRjp_fdiqOMDSZ

But at least we have free grenade trowing. And we can destroy a lot of stuff.

3. Speaking of which. No they are the only explosives at the moment and i dont really see a reason for that. Maybe they just postponed it and we can still hope.

Report Quote
nerdherd 27-12-2014, 09:26 CET

Total Posts: 6

"2. There is no free shooting at the moment. As far as i know this is a design choice. Maybe the devs wanted to prevent that the players kill the civilians with death squads and put video clips of it on youtube. If they would add city moral and/or civilans which fight back that shouldnt be a reason anymore."

Yeah, I really hope this is something that will be fixed at some point. As it is, it seems that even if you are in combat and the AI decides the enemy merc is covered up well or only visible to another mercenary of yours you apparently can't shoot at the enemy. Remember in JA2 when the mercs would warn you that there's no way they could make the shot, but at least it was your decision to make and sometimes they made it anyway. I can't really see any reason why I couldn't use merc number 2 to blast an enemy with a shotgun that is hiding prone behind a wooden fence when merc number 1 sees he is there anyway.

Can't say I understand what is the deal with the action points and aiming at enemy mercenaries at the moment, either. Why does it seem it is only possible to add aiming points in something like blocks of 3-4? In most cases adding the points doesn't really add anything to the chance of hitting an enemy anyways, but I think there's been discussion on this on the forum before and I'll have to see if I can find some of the old topics on this.

Thanks for the links will have to check them up.

Report Quote
Django 28-12-2014, 17:01 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 113

Quoted nerdherd:

Remember in JA2 when the mercs would warn you that there's no way they could make the shot, but at least it was your decision to make and sometimes they made it anyway. I can't really see any reason why I couldn't use merc number 2 to blast an enemy with a shotgun that is hiding prone behind a wooden fence when merc number 1 sees he is there anyway.

Maybe the Game counts the wooden fence the same way as a solid wall. Then it would make sense to not get the shot. There have been problems with assets before. Someone could check that with the editor. Meaning someone who knows how to use it, so not me.

Report Quote
HeadWar 16-01-2015, 10:07 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 3

Quoted nerdherd:

Yeah, I really hope this is something that will be fixed at some point. As it is, it seems that even if you are in combat and the AI decides the enemy merc is covered up well or only visible to another mercenary of yours you apparently can't shoot at the enemy. Remember in JA2 when the mercs would warn you that there's no way they could make the shot, but at least it was your decision to make and sometimes they made it anyway. I can't really see any reason why I couldn't use merc number 2 to blast an enemy with a shotgun that is hiding prone behind a wooden fence when merc number 1 sees he is there anyway.

All objects are solid, unlike in the previous versions where bullets could go through walls, so if you can't draw a clear line to an enemy, you literally cannot hit him. You can however fire on an enemy that isn't within your viewrange, as long as someone on your team can see that enemy.

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 16-01-2015, 12:39 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 863

Not even Thomas remembered why they disabled free shooting. The free aim cursor is there, just disabled. +1 for reactivation

Report Quote
Chris K 16-01-2015, 14:12 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 275

+1 for that. I don't really see a reason for the restriction.

Report Quote
HeadWar 16-01-2015, 15:35 CET
Pledger

Is it really a priority if the only thing you can use it for is to create noise? (And kill civilians.)

Report Quote
HeadWar 16-01-2015, 15:37 CET
Pledger

Hmm. Actually, you could use it for shooting blindly as well, if you think you know where the enemies are, but they are outside any of your viewcones.

Report Quote
Chris K 16-01-2015, 16:56 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 275

Exactly. It would also be a requirement for suppression fire, if we ever manage to get that into the game. I don't think it needs to be a priority, but not every suggestion has to be a priority imho.
I mean, apart from fixing bugs, what exactly is a priority right now? Improving modding should be imho, because it allows for features/improvements that FC doesn't have the time and money, but apart from that... There's obviously not a lot of money for anything and most of the features that would really improve the game cost a lot of money, so I don't see the harm in suggesting features that are not a priority. FC of course has to decide what can be implemented and what not and which feature is more of a priority than the others.

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Statistics

There are a total of 6954 posts, in a total of 595 threads.

Number of Threads: 595
Number of Posts: 6954

Latest posts:

1.1.3 RC1-14095 by Tmib

“… I have enough control of my budgets to be able to ‘land’ the entire company and avoid bankruptcy.” by TheLARPKing

About support Chinese language by Celice

Latest Kickstarter Update by JayM

Just sent an email to Thomas Lund by nakano

Open Source - The future of Flashback by Syrop

No more dev support? by JayM

Physical goods, have you received yours? by nerdherd

I'm left feeling sad....again - Strategy game of the year 1999 by Scope112

No World.json file by FunkingTron

Female Characters always start in the Prone Mesh/Animation by nakano

Update 50:Progress and Status for Jagged Alliance: Flashback by Glettkin

First impressions - please help by GoodKnight

FC you still owe me a bow... by GoodKnight

lighthouse sectors by Blankuestra

Where are the JA flashback savegame files? by Shanga@BP

Website rework: by Mad Squ

game never gets past the loading screen by eNTi

Sector inventory by GoodKnight

No Connection to Steam-Workshop by Charileux

Where to by weapon? by ZeroX318

Editor How-To Guide by PieLieDie

Very happy... FC is keeping their word by JayM

v1.1.2 hotfix bugs and feedback by JayM

Is the game dead already? by Shanga@BP

Any more major updates planed? by Sofos

Rooftops? by Psyckosama

Your most wanted (just your favorite 3) features for future patches... by Psyckosama

**RESOLVED by yackson

The stealth feature great disballance (bug) or the express training. by Lion

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines