FORUM

ForumJagged Alliance: Flashback General › I just beat the latest version! Here's my feedback - 1.12

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

smitty213 06-01-2015, 04:25 CET

Total Posts: 5
I just beat the latest version! Here's my feedback - 1.12

I just finished the game on difficulty level normal in about 25 or so hours.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Specific highlights: level design (cult temple, meth lab, tunnel, prison... all great), death animations (PERFECT), fun gun/ammo types (VAL) and real-time merc design (sweet riot helmet).

I also have some reasonable suggestions that the developers/modders could focus on in order to make this game much better.

Here's my action item list:

FIX STEALTH: I can't sneak up behind an enemy and cut his throat without the enemy snapping to action. As soon as I see the enemy, the enemy see me, even if I have 100 stealth. 

FIX ENEMY ATTACK AI: They run straight at me instead of trying different angles. Sometimes it makes killing them too easy (especially in Tio J8 or K8, they're all funneled down main street.)

FIX ENEMY TURN CAMERA: Every time an enemy fires a bullet, the camera snaps to the shooter. If seven guys are firing, its insane. I want to leave the camera on my mercs or at least have the option to.

FIX TIME MANAGEMENT IN SECTOR MAP: If I give one merc to train a militia, the clock automatically goes into x2. If I tell a squad to move somewhere, it automatically moves into x2. It should be default to be able to issue orders, then start the clock once everyone is set. 

MODIFY COVER: Wooden fences should never be full cover.

MODIFY MERC MOVEMENT: I should be able to move my mercs backwards so they can defend themselves with interrupt. 

ADD TACTICAL MAP RETREAT: I need to have this option if the situation is FUBAR.

ADD POSITIONING OF MERCS IN TACTICAL MAP: When advancing on a sector, I should be able to move/divide my mercs approach. When defending a sector, I should be able to do the same (albeit anywhere on the map; attack can only be at edges).

ADD ROOFS: Got to have this element. I'm not the first one to ask for this.

ADD EXPLOSIVES: I need to be able to blow a hole in the wall to make a new entry point into a building. C4 could accomplish this.

ADD EXPLOSIVES: PART DEUX: I should be able to shoot barrels (or in this map's design, gas stations) to cause explosions. 

ADD MERC LEARNING: I should be able to have my mercs "learn" specific skills instead of sitting idle/repair/medical in Sector Map. The ease of this can be tied to intelligence, and seperate of levelling up points. This was a JA:2 staple!

Full Control has stated this isn't a reboot, this a throwback. And that's fine by me! But I need to see these things implemented so it at least it is on par with a JA:2. Otherwise it just seems like a "mobile-version". 

And finally: thanks to everyone who has worked on the game as a dev or a modder. I really enjoyed it thusfar, and I can't wait to beat it again after the next version/mod comes out! Keep up the great work!

Report Quote
smitty213 06-01-2015, 04:30 CET

And finally: thanks to everyone who has worked on the game as a dev or a modder. I really enjoyed it thusfar, and I can't wait to beat it again after the next version/mod comes out! Keep up the great work!

For the record, here's things I don't care about them focusing on: 

• Trees (I just imagined this is how it might look via satellite)
  • More Attachments (cool, but not necessary considering above) 
  • Story (not even worth addressing considering above)
  • Merc dialogue/personality (I miss them, but the feeling of a sweet sector takedown more)
Report Quote
Ugucione 06-01-2015, 08:59 CET

Total Posts: 1

Agree with all above. One thing I would add is the possibility for combined attacks with 2 or more groups and to fight with the militia

Report Quote
Archo 06-01-2015, 15:56 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 380

Quoted smitty213:

FIX ENEMY TURN CAMERA: Every time an enemy fires a bullet, the camera snaps to the shooter. If seven guys are firing, its insane. I want to leave the camera on my mercs or at least have the option to.

We especially asked for this feature. You know why? JA2 did it. But in JA2 the camera was a bit higher so after the camera turns, you still saw your guy. 
And try to think the other way: If you don't know that knew enemies appear on screen, how to change you tactic?

A lot of you other points we already adressed in other threads and as long as the reviews will not get better, no changes on those features are being expected.

Report Quote
smitty213 06-01-2015, 17:33 CET

A lot of you other points we already adressed in other threads and as long as the reviews will not get better, no changes on those features are being expected. 

How can the reviews get better... if the game is lacks the fundamentals?

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 07-01-2015, 12:19 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 863

It's unfair to say the game lacks fundamentals. It lacks some expensive features (as multi-level combat), but most of the minuses you mentioned can be actually fixed easily.

For example, stealth works, at its core. The enemy doesn't see you if you're outside his 70deg view cone. So you can sneak. The fact that you can't one-shot-critcally-kill an enemy is a different matter. They just need to add a "stealth critical" factor to the damage formula.

Some battles with AI are too easy not because bad AI scripting, but because map design. You're allowed to set the perfect ambush and that makes it very hard for the AI to avoid being slaughtered. Imho, on Hard they should allow the AI to use grenades, especially smoke and flashbangs. That would add a whole new dimension to combat.

There's a learning process that takes place by doing things (you gain Stealth points when moving crouched inside enemy view cone). It's Teaching we lack. +1 for that.

Environment can be destroyed with frag grenades, walls included. It can be damaged by bullets, in theory, but they disabled that during beta, for some reason nobody can remember. +1 for more environment damage from me.

And +1 for the rest of the feedback too, most of them are things were already requested and make sense. I doubt though that FC has confidence investing even more time into adding these new features will make anyone write positive reviews. Almost nobody cared to give them a +1 for adding the attachments system, the shotguns, the death animations and the rest of the stuff. 

Bottom line, do you feel 1.1.2 is the same game as the game that got 60% negative reviews on Steam? Because imho it's way better. But if FC adds improvements and they see nobody bothers to give them at least 1% better rating, can you blame them for feeling a bit dissapointed? They're humans afterall.

Report Quote
smitty213 08-01-2015, 00:34 CET

Bottom line, do you feel 1.1.2 is the same game as the game that got 60% negative reviews on Steam? Because imho it's way better. But if FC adds improvements and they see nobody bothers to give them at least 1% better rating, can you blame them for feeling a bit dissapointed? They're humans afterall.

I don't mean to add a point of contention. If JA:2 is the baseline... then I'd like to be at the baseline. 

I started playing the game (yet again) and noticed that the Stealth feature had been fixed. I realize the last game I played was probably from an older version and some of the tweaks didn't carry over to the newest version. I'm gonna take a spin again.

I like the idea of the enemies using grenades!

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 08-01-2015, 02:06 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 863

If you want to enjoy Stealth before they release a crticail stealth hit patch, just edit Weapons.json and add an insane ammount of damage to your knives. Like 100-150. Enjoy what comes next ^^.

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines