FORUM

ForumOff-Topic › The Past

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Archo 12-09-2014, 19:01 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 175
The Past

It is shocking to see how in 2011 BIA was developed. When you compare their video to what JA:F is now, I have no worries and trust FC every step. Because they used 2D portaits, turn based mode and understand what we need/want.

But the video (german language) is still silly and funny at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZkkIW9rKrM

Report Quote
Tmib 13-09-2014, 22:45 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 34

Actually I bought BIA (when It was like 5 bucks). The game has it's good things, however the live action is bad, the militia is useless and frustrating, there is nothing loveable about the characters, they have no "soul" like in JA2, they are just generic.
However the maps were looking good, there were many weapons in the game, and parts of the game was fun. Also the game was not buggy, it worked excellent, no errors, no gamefreezing.

I played with the JA Online too. (Only with the free version, I didn't spend money on items.) That's just made me angry, since the game is forcing the players to spend real money and I refuse to do that. That game was not too good, they also made money with ads too I think. 

Report Quote
Archo 13-09-2014, 23:12 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 175

Quoted Tmib:

Actually I bought BIA (when It was like 5 bucks). The game has it's good things, however the live action is bad, the militia is useless and frustrating, there is nothing loveable about the characters, they have no "soul" like in JA2, they are just generic.

No one needs to defend BIA =) It is clear, that this one is not a Jagged Alliance game, so who cares that some people liked it. Even for a non Jagged Alliance game it was made by devs without love, so it has no soul.

The developer in the video said: "Why not get rid of the complicated turn based system that would need a different engine, because their 3D engine didn't fit to it." So they used the wrong engine from the beginning and didn't hear what the fans said.

I was totally shocked, how ignorant this team made decisions. Later on in the video, the reporter claims: It seems you have no control because in live action your mercs shoot autmatically at the emey. But this will get better, when you actually play it and get auto paused all the time.

I played the demo. I had no real control about my mercs, or I was constantly in pause mode which didn't feel like the JA2 apporach. After pause, they always shot each other - the live system sucked - everything happend at the same time. 

Ok, the core graphics (buildings, weather) were ok. The soldiers, faces, UI a total mess, the whole game, a mess. No strategic layer. Developed around a game engine instead of an idea. That is crazy. 

That there are people out there who bought this so they could make an add-on was totally surprising for me. I think metascore is 66 or similar. 

With the right guidance, attidude, respect for the series, enough time and money even they could have deliverd something better. But I fear, they think their game was a success so JA2 fans are just haters or don't understand marketing rules, demand and their game. So nothing is wrong with BIA?

We are so lucky, that JA:F is the opposite. The video is just a reminder, how good the communication between fans and devs must be, to prevent such games from ever existing. If there is JA on the box, I expect JA in it. No compromises here.

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines