FORUM

ForumNews and Announcements › Update 38: Competition Follow-Up and Editor Sneak Peek

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

JAF Admin 15-01-2014, 14:17 CET
Super Administrator

Total Posts: 576
Update 38: Competition Follow-Up and Editor Sneak Peek

Dear Backers, 

We hope you have all enjoyed the Holidays and are having a blast in 2014 so far. The JAF team got a chance to recharge their batteries and we are now back to full strength. The art team is continuing to work on the first playable sector, which we are looking forward to complete very soon. 

We posted a screenshot with some of the final assets in the first sector right before the Holidays and we have been getting a lot of feedback on both Facebook and our forum. Thank you for all your input! We are happy with the responses and will continue down the path we have chosen, constantly tweaking it to “perfection” based on feedback from the community and discussions within the JAF Team. 

If any of you missed the screenshot on the social channels, you can find it HERE as well as see some of the feedback from other backers. It’s still Work in Progress but we’re getting closer and closer to a result that we’re all happy with. 

Flag Competition 

As you all know we started a flag competition before the Holidays in search of the official flag of San Hermanos. We got some pretty cool entries and it was hard to pick a winner. The winner was picked by the JAF Team and we focused on in-game readability, overall design, choice of colours and how well it depicted the History of San Hermanos. 

THE WINNER IS

By Lukas from Germany 

The general idea behind the flag is to tell the story of the 4 Spanish brothers Garcia, Fraco, Sal and Tori Moreno. Guided by stars, they discovered the islands of San Hermanos with their ships in 1499, though only one Garcia survived. After the Spanish withdrawal 1895 - 1909, there was a change in the color scheme into the traditional colors of the natives (green & earth). 

Congratulations to Lukas and a big thanks to all who participated in the competition. It’s really fun for us to get content from the community that ends up in the game. A lot of contestants decided to make up to 7 variations of their flag and even up to 5 different flags. We thought it was a good idea to share the flags we received below, for people who sent us multiple flags we picked the ones we thought looked the best. A big THANK YOU to everyone for their effort!

We actually also received flags neatly categorized for different purposes:

Like with the Dialogue Competition we hosted earlier, there’s a possibility that we’ll use some or parts of the flags we received in the game. The team talked about City Flags and maybe Faction Flags, people will get credited if their design is used. 

Mercenary Competition 

We have also had a Mercenary Competition running during the Holidays and we have received a fair amount of entries ranging from serious and professional types to outright crazy and cheesy personalities. A few people missed the fact that JAF takes place pre A.I.M so their merc stories are not totally in line with the game, but they could however be slightly altered. Some people have also filled out way more info about the mercenaries than what was asked for, so we have cut some of it out in order to make a fair comparison. 

It was VERY hard to choose, which is why we’re happy that it’s up to the community to choose the best one. We made our decision based on the quality of the story, how well the taglines fit the game and the personality of the mercenary. It was also important that the story didn’t feel too constructed and that the mercenary had a unique touch, some good reference pictures and descriptions also helped. 

We wanted a bit of variety in the Mercenaries, so our top 5 is a mixed bunch. Click on their names to see the full information and then cast your vote by following the link beneath the list. 

Top 5 

Heinrich “Heini” Sackbauer 
Mac “Mister” Rodgers 
Elodie “Fléchette” Neuville 
Mia “Wrench” Rodrigues 
Patricia "Exec" Sanger-Norton 

CLICK HERE TO VOTE 
The voting will end on February 1st 

We can’t promise that every single detail described will be in there as some may require additional programming or animations, but we will do our best to get as much in there as possible. As with the other competitions we may decide to use some of the material we get in the game and credit the people who have contributed. 

Editor Sneak Peek 

Since the end of our Kickstarter the editor has been a hot topic and backers wanted to know more about modding, so therefore we have decided to share a first glimpse of our internal level editor in action with the community. Our Level Designer, Filip Pilebo, gave it a quick run through, see below: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CN2naxne_c

Just to clarify, the editor runs as an extension to the Unity game engine (http://unity3d.com/), therefore you need to install Unity in order to use the Jagged Alliance: Flashback level editor. The basic version of Unity is free, so basically all you need to make sure to have is a copy of the game and Unity installed to create your own sectors. You will be able to export your custom levels from the editor and play them within the game itself. 

This is just the first step and we will keep adding more stuff to the editor along the way as well as new and useful tools. We will do a follow up on the progress at a later point and share more detailed information about modding possibilities. 

Until next time! 

The Fullcontrol JAF Team

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-01-2014, 14:26 CET
Super Administrator

Can see I forgot the nice flag you posted in reply to the last update Shanga :P Sorry ^^

Report Quote
Chris K 15-01-2014, 14:29 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 163

Great, one of my mercs made it. I'm very happy that all that work I put into them is paying off.

Good luck to the other contestants.

The link for Fléchette is wrong (it's the same as for MrRodgers). The correct link is on the kickstarter page:
http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com/uploads/Elodie.pdf

Same for Wrench:
http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com/uploads/MiaWrench.pdf

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-01-2014, 14:34 CET
Super Administrator

Thanks, been corrected for the forum post :D 

Report Quote
Voyevoda 15-01-2014, 14:35 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 62

You show all flags you recieved? Mine's not there. :(

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-01-2014, 14:39 CET
Super Administrator

Bummer..has been a bit messy as people have sent multiple mails and also combined the flag + Merc comeptition. I hope you didn't use the tocompetition@fullcontrol.dk which it showed up as on the forum...copying from Kickstarter to here unveils some odd mistakes

Report Quote
Voyevoda 15-01-2014, 14:42 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 62

I sended at "competition@", my first mail was empty, without the files, so i sended two mails too.

(sended at 6.1., Merc was also in it)

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-01-2014, 14:47 CET
Super Administrator

Found 1 mail that wasn't put in the flag folder from Jessica RS....5 flags

Will put them in there so we can consider them for City Flags/Faction Flags

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-01-2014, 14:52 CET
Super Administrator

Still having some issues with latest post it seems

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-01-2014, 14:58 CET
Super Administrator

Quoted Voyevoda:

I sended at "competition@", my first mail was empty, without the files, so i sended two mails too.

(sended at 6.1., Merc was also in it)

Ahh, You're right ...you sent 7 or so I saw them and just forgot to add it. At least you got me to find Jessicas...will add yours and the best of Jessicas here on the forum 

EDIT: Have made changes now

Report Quote
Grim 15-01-2014, 19:23 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 147

Very nice chosen flag. Congratulations!

The 5 final Mercs all are interesting, nice work folks. I've spotted a merc of anv, i guess ;)

Voted, and (all) appreciated!

Report Quote
Wigen 15-01-2014, 19:35 CET

Total Posts: 32

Photo of the last mercenary looks exactly as I imagined. Same as in Jagged Alliance 2. Excellent performance by your designers;) You have it anymore?

Report Quote
Hendrik3 15-01-2014, 22:40 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 8

Nice choice on the flag, I like it!

Report Quote
iiiVaLOiii 16-01-2014, 06:32 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 24

The fact that the flag has a backstory (stars/brothers) adds some of the little details which make something great even greater, like it! 

Report Quote
JAF Admin 16-01-2014, 09:34 CET
Super Administrator

Quoted Wigen:

Photo of the last mercenary looks exactly as I imagined. Same as in Jagged Alliance 2. Excellent performance by your designers;) You have it anymore?

Hehe, the image was made by the guy sending in the mercenary. 

We aim for a similar style though

Report Quote
CanadianMike 16-01-2014, 13:26 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 37

Quoted Wigen:

Although she looks a little like a female version of Lt. Bud Hellar :D

Report Quote
Wigen 16-01-2014, 13:36 CET

Quoted CanadianMike:
Quoted Wigen:

Although she looks a little like a female version of Lt. Bud Hellar :D

Exactly. I was there with the rest I don't see the difference ;)

Report Quote
IIHectorII 17-01-2014, 01:59 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 7

Quoted JAF Admin :
Quoted Wigen:

Hehe, the image was made by the guy sending in the mercenary. 

We aim for a similar style though

Can't go wrong with this decision!

The winner flag would have been one of my favorites too, it's very eye catching. Good to see the community is supporting you guys. Now what merc to choose ....

Report Quote
Wigen 30-01-2014, 15:31 CET

When you show another part of the Dev Diary! ;) From the first episode a little longer time has passed since I've added it on YouTube (3 months ago, 15/11/2013)

Report Quote
JAF Admin 30-01-2014, 16:27 CET
Super Administrator

Actually we wanted to create more dev diaries, but focus has been solely on making the first sector. We're also thinking about making a livesteam instead of a Dev Diary, but we're in temporary offices with poor internet at the moment...so 1 month before we can do that. 

There have been some coverage of various aspects in the behind the scenes, but just short posts. I'll see if I can squeeze a dev diary 2 in for the next update :) 

Report Quote
Wigen 30-01-2014, 16:47 CET

Thanks for the quick reply to my question and dispel doubts.

Regards ;)

Report Quote
[LUKE] 01-08-2014, 10:26 CET

Total Posts: 4

Without being a old-thread-bumper, but I'm just a little suprised....

I almost forget about this competition and now I see u decided for the flag i did.

Thank you guys, thats an honor.

Also great to see the other competitions and your content getting more and more exciting. Keep it up.

Report Quote
JAF Admin 01-08-2014, 11:54 CET
Super Administrator

Quoted [LUKE]:

Without being a old-thread-bumper, but I'm just a little suprised....

I almost forget about this competition and now I see u decided for the flag i did.

Thank you guys, thats an honor.

Also great to see the other competitions and your content getting more and more exciting. Keep it up.

Hahaha...that is just too funny :)

Thanks for your contribution ^^

The plan is to use the Flag several places..already sitting next to the lovely poster girl and colours being used for a plane

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines