FORUM

ForumNews and Announcements › Editor How-To Guide

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

JAF Admin 06-05-2014, 17:00 CET
Super Administrator

Total Posts: 757
Editor How-To Guide

Instead of Having to update mutiple places for modding, we have decided to use the guide option in Steam to keep it in one place. 

You should be able to view the guide without having to install Steam

Here's the link :) 

Modding Guide

We'll continue to impove the guide and add videos and pictures to the guide as well, when possible 

Report Quote
Shadow86 07-05-2014, 01:20 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 216

Sorry for Off Topic but:

Will there be one more alpha update before you go Early Access (BETA) in late May?

Can you tell what features will be in the Early Access?

Report Quote
JAF Admin 07-05-2014, 10:32 CET
Super Administrator

I don't think there'll be another alpha update, but now you can sit and create stuff for the alpha with the editor and see what's inthe projects at the moment. I'øm not a 100%, but I am prtty sure the team want to focus on the EA version

I don't have the exact EA list and we're pushing to get as much in there as possible..But quest/dialogue system. more animations, economy, inventory ..stuff like that. But as I'm not the producer I'm not sure what's in and what's in the drawing board for the EA

Report Quote
Shadow86 07-05-2014, 10:40 CET
Pledger

Quoted JAF Admin :

I don't think there'll be another alpha update, but now you can sit and create stuff for the alpha with the editor and see what's inthe projects at the moment. I'øm not a 100%, but I am prtty sure the team want to focus on the EA version

I don't have the exact EA list and we're pushing to get as much in there as possible..But quest/dialogue system. more animations, economy, inventory ..stuff like that. But as I'm not the producer I'm not sure what's in and what's in the drawing board for the EA

Ok thanks for your answer :-) The Editor so far is a really nice tool and easy to handle. I guess there will be a lot of cool stuff created by the community. 

Report Quote
JAF Admin 07-05-2014, 10:55 CET
Super Administrator

Quoted Shadow86:
Quoted JAF Admin :

Ok thanks for your answer :-) The Editor so far is a really nice tool and easy to handle. I guess there will be a lot of cool stuff created by the community. 

I sure hope so :)

Report Quote
Shadow86 07-05-2014, 19:05 CET
Pledger

Have build a small level now and could already detect Lynx and Scully. Haha really nice.

I have already worked professionally with some 3D Programms like Cinema 4D or Maya but i have to work me in Unity a little bit. Overall its a nice and easy tool and i have never modded any game. But maybe for JAF I will create some stuff ;-) 

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 09-05-2014, 13:40 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 863

@Shadow or anyone else - could you pretty please post a link or a small guide on Unity editor interface? I know... RTFM... but just the basics would be nice. Like camera controls.

Report Quote
JAF Admin 09-05-2014, 13:48 CET
Super Administrator

I thnk they have some good tutorials on Unitys own site: 

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/572-Beginners-Guide-to-Unity

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 09-05-2014, 15:43 CET
Pledger

Just ignore my pleas for Unity controls help, I was just lazy. It's right there on the first page of Help in plain English. But I have more serious issues, see below..

Question for Adrian - how do you add new brush textures, like grass with leaves and so on? Working with only 4 brushes kinda limits the design options. I've tried the obvious route Edit Textures -> Add Texture, but I think I've messed up something because the new brush is a white mess (I suspect because I selected the old grass Normal Map... but not sure). I've also tried this is a gravel02 texture that is supposed to have a Normal map... same white thing... Even tweaked the offsets to be 5/5 and nothing change.

Also, I've tried to find wooden walls somewhere but there's nothing, just concrete stuff. Is there such asset I've missed? I am trying to replicate Omerta and in JA2 the wood is omnipresent.

Report Quote
JAF Admin 09-05-2014, 17:08 CET
Super Administrator

I've poked Adrian, but pretty busy for the EA release, so let's see if he remembers :)

Report Quote
Claudius33 09-05-2014, 19:35 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 94

Hello,

Same question as Shanga.

I've made a first map. First attempt with the JAF Editor and Unity as well :-). The map is fully playable, however for whatever reason the ground suddenly has dropped down. Merc, props and foes are now levitating :-) although all looks correct in Unity. I don't know what to do and of course I've no save before it happened.

I've also noticed that rescaled objects in Unity are resetted to their normal size in game. I guess that scaling properties are not exported.

By the way how to do a snaphot? PrtScr formerly worked but not with the last Alpha.

The map is playable, it replaces the gas station. Your mission is to pay a visit to a cigars factory. Unfortunalety instead of being welcome by symphatetic workers, you have to remove a bunch of baddies first. Below a link to the stuff, JA_Flashback folder (see the guide to know where to uncompress the different archives) :

- a snaphot in Unity

- the unity files

- the assets files for playing

- the modified JSON file which replaces B13 by B13_Tobacco.

http://1drv.ms/1kYqr0l

Report Quote
Roman 09-05-2014, 20:36 CET
Administrator

Total Posts: 111

hey Claudius33 & Shanga,

cool stuff! :D We are just closing down Steam Workshop integration, so you will be able to distribute your mods through this very soon.

To answer your question, you probably moved the Terrain down by accident - it happens to me all the time. You can raise terrain again by clicking on the Terrain, choosing "Paint height" and setting the "Height" value to "10", which is currently the default height. Hope this helps!

Scaling of Assets is not supported, and will not be supported, mostly for game logic reasons. The information gets lost during de- / serialization.

For the terrain, it is a bit buggy at the moment - will poke Adrian.

Report Quote
Claudius33 09-05-2014, 22:00 CET
Pledger

Thank you Roman.

Setting terrain Paint Height to 10, then flattening the whole terrain to 10 and finally moving down the terrain to adjust the height did the trick.

I've updated the above link for the people who want to open the map in Unity and/or play it.

Another point I have noticed is that a door even in an opened mode blocks the path. I guess that we have to wait a bit for functional doors.

Keep up the good work.

Report Quote
QTip42 16-05-2014, 20:32 CET

Total Posts: 2
Some Problems

Hey guys, thanks for giving us the power of the engine. However I stumbled on a problem. I followed your instructions for setting up the TXEditor path but it can't load any assets. All I get, is this message in the console (also shown in the screenshot):

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
FullControl.Tx.LevelEditor.AssetsTool.ReloadAssetBundle () (at /Users/Dan/Desktop/Works/JAFlashback/JAFCore/EditorDLL/Core/AssetsTool.cs:618)
FullControl.Tx.LevelEditor.AssetsPanel.LoadAssets () (at /Users/Dan/Desktop/Works/JAFlashback/JAFCore/EditorDLL/Windows/AssetsPanel.cs:57)
FullControl.Tx.LevelEditor.AssetsPanel.OnGUI () (at /Users/Dan/Desktop/Works/JAFlashback/JAFCore/EditorDLL/Windows/AssetsPanel.cs:141)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)"

I also tried your backup link for the download, no change. I hope you can work something out with this infos.

yours truly
QT

Screenshot Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63749073/SC01.jpg

Report Quote
Bibmo 16-05-2014, 21:00 CET

Total Posts: 14

Quoted QTip42:

All I get, is this message in the console (also shown in the screenshot):

I had the same problem when i wanted to try out the editor.

Do you use the puplic editor files? ...from the steam forums

http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com/uploads/JAFPublicEditor.zip

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 16-05-2014, 21:06 CET
Pledger

The new editor (the one with Public in name) works. Just go through the install procedure again, as you did with the first one and the Asset Bundle will work perfectly.

Report Quote
QTip42 16-05-2014, 21:46 CET

Total Posts: 2

Thank's Guys

Report Quote
Thomas Lund 16-05-2014, 22:27 CET
Administrator

Total Posts: 84

Thanks for your patience, and cant wait to see what you can do with this - now that there is actual game logic too, dialog and shit. GO GO MODDERS!!!

Report Quote
Bibmo 17-05-2014, 00:15 CET

OMG very nice to hear... im not that fast.. still in photoshop planning a test map ;)

PS: How do you specify wich sectors are locked in the map? So far i can only unlock them within the quest. 

Whats the trick with the one digit sectors like D8, is it not possible to unlock them via strategic.UnlockSector('D8') for ex. ? 

Report Quote
Thomas Lund 17-05-2014, 11:24 CET
Administrator

Total Posts: 84

@Bibmo - I'll have to check if we hardcoded anything for the Early Access build on the strategic map. But it should be possible to unlock with B3 and other single digit sectors (I coded it and tested it - but it might have some override in the final hours of shipping).

Report Quote
Bibmo 17-05-2014, 15:35 CET

Ok thanks, some other stuff seems also not take any change on the strat map sector settings.

Is there no subforum for modding?

Report Quote
JAF Admin 17-05-2014, 15:57 CET
Super Administrator

There's one in the behind the scenes but you can start one in the general section if you like :) 

Report Quote
Radio 17-05-2014, 18:58 CET

Total Posts: 3

I've been poking around Unity a bit, and went over some tutorials for various things, but still very new to it... I'm wondering, are we able to fully mod the game through Unity, or is it really just a level editor? If I just keep poking around and going through tuts, I'll eventually get changing anything I want, right, or is there anything else we need to directly change the hard code?

I've had a lot of fun so far goofing around with the JSON files in the EA, like making the M16 deal a base damage of 600 and giving the CIA-agent superman vision lol.

Report Quote
JAF Admin 23-05-2014, 15:25 CET
Super Administrator

I've just updated the guide on Steam and added it to this thread up top :)

We're trying to make this game as moddable as possible, a lot of stuff is already possible with the free version of Unity, check out the guide for more info. 

Report Quote
Claudius33 23-05-2014, 21:49 CET
Pledger

Thanks for new guide FC.

Report Quote
PieLieDie 04-01-2015, 12:06 CET

Total Posts: 7

Hello!

Need help for some questions. I tried to spawn Enemy in me created sector.Sector is well, but enamy cannot created.How can i fix this?

Maybe any one have new JAFPublicEditor?

And interest program for creating dialogs. cant find link in manual.

Sry 4 my ENG.

Report Quote
JAF Admin 05-01-2015, 16:20 CET
Super Administrator

Report Quote
PieLieDie 06-01-2015, 10:11 CET

Thx for this.

Who can answer for some questions about game editor?

Report Quote
JAF Admin 06-01-2015, 14:55 CET
Super Administrator

Did you ask on the guide.. I posted a reply n there at least 

Report Quote
PieLieDie 27-01-2015, 20:26 CET

Help

Can i add new asset in the game? or only change SourceAssets?

I tried to change SourceAssets to my asset as well. But this is have some trouble...

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 30-01-2015, 13:58 CET
Pledger

There's a guide on Steam on adding your own 3d assets, but this requires UnityPro license (it's a Unity engine forced limitation of the free edition).

Thomas said he's working on updating all guides, but as the JAF team has been forced to a minimum, it will take a bit of time.

Report Quote
PieLieDie 30-01-2015, 17:33 CET

I have UnityPro version. But when i add new asset, for example - SourceAssets3, they didn't shows.

Asset work when i only change SourceAssets2 to my asset.

Sry 4 my eng.

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 01-02-2015, 09:17 CET
Pledger

Your need to make your own asset bundle

Creating an AssetBundle
In order for the game to use custom created assets, you need to build an AssetBundle containing your assets and put it to your Mod folder.

(1) Make sure all your Asset prefabs are placed inside a designated folder.
(2) Select that folder
(3) Go to TxEditor -> Assets -> Export AssetsBundle…
(4) Give your assetbundle a name and provide the mod name
(5) Make sure the “Export only AssetViews” checkbox is checked out
(6) Click Export

Report Quote
PieLieDie 01-02-2015, 11:48 CET

Thx,i know this.

It's working?You are tried to do this?

P.S. If u see my img, i add btr and broking tank. But it's only work when change original JAF aseest to my. 

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 02-02-2015, 12:21 CET
Pledger

I managed to get new assets in the editor, but I cannot export new asset bundles because I don't have Unity Pro (commercial license). 

The exe is built so loads certain folders automatically. You need to recreate exactly the folder structure it expects in /Mods folder, otherwise it won't work. This is the tricky part. For some parts the engine expects entire subfolder tree, for others just certain files.

Lots of trial and error.

Report Quote
PieLieDie 03-02-2015, 05:44 CET

Quoted Shanga@BP:

You need to recreate exactly the folder structure it expects in /Mods folder, otherwise it won't work. This is the tricky part. For some parts the engine expects entire subfolder tree, for others just certain files.

Lots of trial and error.

Yes i know about that. For example - I coppy "Original" forder to my mod. He have normal subfolder tree, then export my asset to this folder. But it still does not work. The game does not show my asset(((.

P.S. When i replace original SourceAsset i only triyng understand,can the game show my asset.

Quoted Shanga@BP:

I managed to get new assets in the editor, but I cannot export new asset bundles because I don't have Unity Pro (commercial license). 

Unity Pro have a trial version (30 day). Trial version support exporting asset. 

If u have a little time. Can you try add asset to the game (to sector)?

P.S. Because i think it's impossible in this time or locked.

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines