FORUM

ForumSteam Early Access Feedback › [Feedback/Bugs] EA 0.9.0-b1-9860/0.9.1-b1-9882

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

nakano 13-10-2014, 17:31 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 147
[Feedback/Bugs] EA 0.9.0-b1-9860/0.9.1-b1-9882

Opening a bug thread for the latest public release. More feedback regarding the release can be found here.

0.9.0-b1-9860 (and possible later)

Will probably update my post later today, but starting with a game breaking bug:

- After toying with the inventory, cannot move the merc [video].

- Sci-fi feature: Sending multiple mercs to the same sector at different timelines (worth watching fully) [video].

### Other thoughts ### 

- Even if UI action menus are transparent, clicking a transparent part shouldn't probably make the merc to move there.
 - Nice to see that now multiple mercs selected are able to change their movement path in the middle of realtime movement.

0.9.1-b1-9882

- Cannot use bandage; only the first one works [video].

- Levitating knife [video].

- Buzz should be death so no portrait [video].

- Squad inventory is not full yet, why next items go to page 2 [video]?

- Rajko Cay offers to work for free [video]. I shouldn't have any money left after hiring Elodie and Buzz before [video].

### Other thoughts ###

- Would be nice to be able to refill half ammo containers.
 - .44 Magun Ammo box and .45 ACP Ammo box looks exactly the same.

Report Quote
Sooner 13-10-2014, 19:45 CET

Total Posts: 10
Interrupt Bug

I have been able to reproduce this twice and both times it resulted in the same issue.  Both times in the first city C11.

Setup - One enemy alive, and all mercs on interrupt mode.

If the enemy is killed during the first interrupt which should clear the sector and take you out of interrupt/turn-based mode, you are stuck in interrupt mode.  No way to end the turn, exit to the strategic screen etc but you do retain control of the Merc currently doing the interrupt.

Report Quote
Hyrax 13-10-2014, 19:49 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 195

- floating guns (I can see the enemies this way that are not in view)

- Too much melee attacks from AI :D

- Could not shoot with mercs after reloading - huge X while aiming

- the interruption system it killing the fun, getting interruptions after getting shot is not fun nor logical

- Massive performance drops

- Ap cost for aiming buggy - does not cover turning into AP cost and fails to shoot

- calm civilians standing when firefights are happening around them

- Thompson has 8 bullets in it's clip, really?

- Enemies are really bent on killing you - put two bullets in the chest, he runs at you with his knife

- Weapon condition makes gun AP use higher - not very logical. Should only affect jamming (is there any jamming?) and accuracy 

Report Quote
Scope112 13-10-2014, 20:14 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 50

I can hardly run this release due to severe performance issues. Previous releases didn't run very well, but this release runs even much worse than others. This build is not optimized at all:

I am running this game on a MacBook Pro 13 inch Retina, and encounter the following issues:

- Highest available resolution to select: 1280 x 800 (while my screen obviously supports much higher resolutions)

- As a result of low resolution, the game does not scale properly on my laptop, resulting in a loss of a significant portion of the screen.

- Performance issues: On any graphical setting (from the lowest to highest) the game is unrunnable, very low FPS, and laggy. Even the cursor is laggy.

- Weather effects (rain): drain performance further.

This is very odd since my system should be able to run this game easily. Thus this indicates that the game is not optimized at all to run for MAC. Furthermore, I saw other users (windows users) on youtube experience the same issues.

Other bugs/issues/missing features:

- Missing sound for reloading weapon

- MERC doesn't acknowledge when he spots a new enemy. It still sometimes it's unclear to me when I actually spotted a new enemy.

- Interrupt: It's not clear to me when the enemy actually has an interrupt on my MERC. The game just stops for a second and an enemy fires at you. --> Refer to JA2 on how to properly implement this

- When clicking 'apply' the option menu doesn't confirm your selection

- Recruiting MERCS: hardly any speaches, even reduced compared to earlier builds! No option to hire MERC without gear.

- Enemies shoot each other too often

- Too many melee attacks by enemy

- Enemies always tend to attack you, even if they are being shot. They just run towards you, instead of taking cover. It seems the enemy has a tendency to try to overwelm you by swarming your MERCS.

- The game sometimes just switches to real time mode when you are actually engaged with an enemy. This seems to take place especially when the game 'thinks' you're taking too long to make use of your turn.

- MERC/NPC/Enemy animations are still not really fluid

- No Sector inventory?

- Many MERCS are still missing from the roster, where are MERCS like: Spike, Kelly, Mike, Bud, Grunty? Etc.....

- Still hardly any MERC speach and interactions

- No MERC special perks, personality, likes/dislikes

- No NPC dialogues

One week away from release, and I can't even run this game properly. It makes me tremendously worried for release.... I can't seriously believe how FC thinks that they can put this unfinished product on the market. It's broken.

Report Quote
Archo 13-10-2014, 23:10 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 380

The whole Drag&Drop approach is wrong in Flashback. I kill my mouse and fingers. Please change the standard behaviour (as in JA2) that clicking on an item will attach it to the cursor or become the cursor. Now I can move around with that item. By pressing the left mouse button and place it on a slot, it will get into the slot. Easy hmm? Important usability fix here. Who is with me? 

Normally few days before release my text should have been short praising all the features. Now I can only note what is missing or buggy.  I focus today on the strategic map.

Quoted Sooner:

I have been able to reproduce this twice and both times it resulted in the same issue.  Both times in the first city C11.

If the enemy is killed during the first interrupt which should clear the sector and take you out of interrupt/turn-based mode, you are stuck in interrupt mode.  No way to end the turn, exit to the strategic screen etc but you do retain control of the Merc currently doing the interrupt.

Really great obsevervation. IMHO we can spare the repair of that feature as many of us think (the rest sends us commentaries or push more, thx!) that we need to go back to the JA2 interrupt system. It worked. Was it perfect? No. Does the JA:F system works? Not at all. Wired and does not work when switching from real time to turn based. Which is the MOST important thing for me when thinking of interrupts. The more I repeat myself the more crazy it sounds. It's like the animated portraits. Has to be in. No matter what. So we repeat ourselves here. Later on, you will see what reviewers say about it.

The game/cursor is so laggy. I can't use the inventory mostly. It is a hassle. 

- Even if UI action menus are transparent, clicking a transparent part shouldn't probably make the merc to move there.

-> Happens to me all the time. I hate those translucent menus. I wasted to many APs on that.

- bandaging doesn't work all the time. The UI to do that is just frustating. Even a health icon where I can click and it uses bandages in inventory and squad invetory would be better, as I otherwise get in panic. My mercs bleed to death and I can't do anything.

- healing is a joke now. I can select it in the strategic layer without having a medkit. 

- One merc has a repair kit, but all in the squad can use it. Intended? In JA2 it was different but I guess it is possible to share a repair kit as you would do as a squad. Perhaps it should be in suad inventory, but then you never would have to use a slot for that, as it only becomes usefull in the strategic map view.
 I

- Mercs that have a task in JA2 were "freezed" in the map so you could not use them. Also they have to show what task they do (text). So in JA2 you could even change the task over a small window in the map itself. At least cancelling would be nice, as you would like to use them on the map directly.

- Death of mercs did not influence morale or trigger a comment.

- in the UI where the bleeding symbol is, I saw 5 triangles as placeholders.

- It STILL does not work that the second you merc sees an enemy, turn based is activated AND the merc stops. HUGE bug.

- It seems that they branch out some stuff and it does not get in. The reload sound was in before, hmm? The different voice interactions in the hire merc window were in. Now it is just a "yes I am here" Nothing more.

- MOST IMPORTANT: There are a view new animations. Nice. BUT the basic animations like -> walk -> aim -> shot are not fluent. Either is is the performance or the aiming does take to much time. In JA2 the fights were cooler as they just fluently flipped or turned body while aiming. If these sequence are to long it feels more like space hulk. You know the reviews and critics you had with terminator animations? It seems we have still similar problems here as JA2 is a much fast game in terms of shooting.
- the animator should work 24/7 and not on Space Hulk to get the basic stuff already done. Just compare 1 little scene of a JA2 battle with what we have now. It is very similar, but the devil is here in the details. I still miss death animations. These were JA2 core elements which you could find in every JA release (JA2, JAUB, JA Wildfire). How you kill enemies was something linear and the variants (flammed mercs, headshot, gutshot, hit) -> we don't talk about it. It is missing. I also miss that the weapon swings slowly from left to right so they cover the viewcone in idle mode. Why did Space Hulk A get death animations? Because it is cool and essential, if the prior games used it too! It is the element of the series.

- Sure I can mod the income that town give me. But who came up with the brilliant idea to pay out 24$ a day? No merc would ever go to such a town and free them. You can't even pay for the ammo with that. I think JA2 strategic map used some better figures.

- BUG: I can't use the knife or machete on enemies that are lying on the ground. Also melee attacks should work no matter which stance I and the enemy have. Nakano could do it in his video but not me!

- The bullets (I have video material) come out of nowhere, behind the pistol or gun. The trail of the bullet should ne be so long and not be displayed right after it left the gun barrel. How can one release this? It kills the immersion. It is like walking through walls. Bullets need to be round, darker, a tiny bit smaller and not gray, more black. And the bullet tail is just wrong. 

- civilians should crouch, duck and walk away from shootings. YES. Basic JA2 stuff. That we no one (me or the enemy) would shoot at story NPCs which would kill the game.

- At which point does a old weapon starts with penalties for AP? It sould only be a nearly broken weapon (20 of 100%). Otherwise it could JAM (don't do it now) or go for a accurancy penalty which is okay as it affects more the long range.

- could also not shoot after reloading or not. X is shown. In the changelog you said, it is fixed. It is not.

STRATEGIC MAP
I can't believe how you create a second squad. Drag&drop? Without the video I would never have guessed. Big usability issue for some veterans!? and many newcomers. Again, I see how you desperately add menus, buttons and information in the strategic layer. There is no concept at all. OK. the box with tasks that JA2 has, was not sexy. But it worked so good and had all the information right on the finger tips. And is it much work? It is just text. Text witih text menus. http://youtu.be/0SLWSRYu7mg?t=52m27s THAT is all you have to do. Even managing squads would just be a text link hooked to the function to switch squads. 

- Why can't I fast forward faster? Also the button I pressed last, should look like pressed.

- The map is already filled with little icons and information I can't read. People. Use common sense. The linke above shows the advantages of a table/grid that shows you where youre soldiers are and what the ETA is. And after giving an order you can see the

• arrival time
  • which Suad I am which NAME I have
  • contract length
  • Assignemnt
  • Current Sector
  • Destination

ALL this info is missing in your UI now. And patching it in the map is nothing one can read or memorize. These basic strategic information has to be displayed all the time. I don't read you ETA information in the map as I can't will not memorize. On the left you barely have any functions so far. I need need to calm down.

The assignment text can have the same background dynamic progression bar that the e.g. markmanship in the UI has. The mini circle you implemnted around the dollar symbol to show, that milita is trained? No one can see it really.

- Income and balance sheet for advanced planing of hiring mercs is missing

- This guy spends 1 hour in the strategic map. Yes, JA2 can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chPuZXND60

- When giving tasks to mercs in strategic view, they got randomly respawned after going back in to the sector. It is not clear to the player when you will get the loading screen again and when not. Only if you before forwarded time?

- Enemy militia if NEAR a town (1 field away) must be displayed as red cubes in the tile. So much cubes as enemies are incoming. So I know I can send backup or not.

- You need to be able to transfer militias (standard militia green cube) from one side of a town to the other. You need to be able to train better militia. (blue). After fighting you can get veterans (dark blue).

- After loosing a battle against milita, a sound file must be played as in JA2. We can't fight with our guys? Hmmm, performance issue? These fights were special moments in JA2 and I can't believe this feature will be cut to. It seems very basic as the spawned mercs could just use the enemy UI with one difference. They shoot at the enemies and not us.

THE MERC PORTRAITS in strategic map have to have the CLASS "animated portraits" to mod it in later. Otherwise it is just lame. They also use text/speech bubbles.
- After a task is done, or whatever the mercs in strategic layer comment on it. So you trained millita? 
- Options in settings to:

• stop time lapse when milita training is done
  • healing is done
  • different triggers that allow you to stop time lapse or coninue. You need that you change your strategic path while time lapsing.

- Daily income information is missing. We only have current balance.

- When clicking on a sector in the map, you have to see the name of sector, and A3 or so.
B15: San Mona
- without sector inventory: A button in the strategic maps that sends all backpacked itmes to the current squad inventory, i the selected merc is in the sector.!? Workaround for release?

- Drag and Drop: Please change the standard behaviour (as in JA2) that clicking on an item will attach it to the cursor or become the cursor. Now I can move around with that item. By pressing the left mouse button and place it on a slot, it will get into the slot. Easy hmm? Important usability fix here. 

- logbook in strategic map broken/missing

- after walking to a sector in strategic map (fast forward e.g.) the squad leader has to say "done, were are here". These triggers already exist, also the voice files.

- interrupt is not working in this game. One of the things I enjoyed in JA2. 

- I thought we would see the IMP by now. Nothing. 7 days, guys :o

- right click menu is stil there.  

- Instead of showing a small percentage on some palce in the UI that tells me I have to repair my 25 out of 100% weapon, here is my suggestions: Look at JA2. The used a condition/degredation bar at the left of each item. Like the morale bar, it shows you the "morale" of you item. With one look you knew, which one to repair first. You tables and lists where this information is secretly hidden, it is inbelievable you missed out on this little JA2 trick. So reuse you code, make a small blue bar that represents 100% item. Then make it like green or white and hook in a function to update the condition. Here in the video see the pistol http://youtu.be/0SLWSRYu7mg?t=1h42s

Is our feedback all wrong or what!?.

The good: A guy with a parrot on his shoulder would be so amazing. Hey if the parrot what really be on his shoulder during fights and have a voice. I would roll on the floor...laughing =)
The graphics, art, portraits etc so amazing. I like the look of the game, the new sector loading screens really add something. Before you were just bored by the "loading..." info. Well done. Morale system is cool but as a good soldier I won't often see the outcome. Hopefully. Energy system sounds right Roman. Hope it is balanced. Crosshair has now an old sound we know. But all other suggestions we made are not implemented so far. Don't know if it will ever be like JA2. Just copy the rest of the mechanics, sound and effects. Not so much left on the crosshair front, but the details matter.

The game looks like a finished game for some. But not for me. I see more missing than done, which is our job here as a community. You can prove me wrong. But I can see that you need a day of two of sleep. So as we push, you should also look at what your needs are. We like you guys, going through this 18 month with you - we don't want to get a heart condition like the last day of the kickstarter :o

Sometimes I think we should have been the game designers so that many bad design decisions or missing features or just fucntions (UI) got into the game. It is frustrating sometimes to see, that it isn't done like in JA2. 

Report Quote
Archo 13-10-2014, 23:20 CET
Pledger

I think my posts are getting to long and are filtered before they reach the devs - so not half the feedback is done from the last threads. So what 50+ bugs are then recoded? Would be nice if devs would have the time to really read it to get a feeling of what we miss by reading between the lines and compare that to actual JA2 footage. My clips are always under 20s if I recorded by myself. In this post however I used "let's play" links.

Report Quote
gdalf 14-10-2014, 00:47 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 120

Quoted Sooner:

I've also had this bug and reported it in the previous alpha stream

Report Quote
JAF Admin 14-10-2014, 09:49 CET
Super Administrator

Total Posts: 757

We appreciate all the feedback and bug reports and do collect all. Naturally we can't adress all in one go and not all feedback = changes. Taking what's here now and putting it in the bug tracker and feedback document .

Report Quote
Scope112 14-10-2014, 11:24 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 50

Why does every MERC have the same level? Shouldn't certain MERCS be more experienced than others?

Report Quote
CharlieChap 14-10-2014, 13:00 CET

Total Posts: 4

Also experienced the interupt bug and a map not ending as a result.

The positive is that I do really like the look of the game (and the aiming and aim time mechanism is pretty intuitive after workign it out.) , the Unity environments are nice looking and the animations look good.

UI is very sluggish (with an i5 2600k desktop and lots of ram and a reasonable graphics card. Midrange desktop.)

Selecting Mercs (1-4 keys) or by clicking onto their pictures is often 'hit or miss' and its not always accepted, frustrating as the wrong character then moves.

Canot see a way to buy equipment or purchase ammunition.

Sometimes weapons refuse to reload despite having the correct ammunition for them.

The large Medkits currently do not appear to do anything (maybe not  implimented yet ?.)

As others have said, the ai seems very keen on closing into hand to hand combat.

Sometimes it seems to take an ice age for the ai to process its move even with very few or even a single character. I thought the game had hung several times....

Report Quote
JAF Admin 14-10-2014, 13:15 CET
Super Administrator

Quoted Scope112:

Why does every MERC have the same level? Shouldn't certain MERCS be more experienced than others?

They have different stats, which should show that they're more or less experienced..Level is set for levelling up from the point of being hired..Makes sense in that way.

Report Quote
nakano 14-10-2014, 16:18 CET
Pledger

- My Flechette is being shot through a concrete wall and punched through a door. Not fair. [video]

- Second day of testing verifies that clicking transparent menu parts (like deceased merc portraits, weapon fire mode if it cannot be changed for the weapon; well actually all these menu parts) shouldn't make your merc to move.
 - @Archo I can attack enemies with a knife, but only when the merc is standing. It gives "Can only use melee attack when standing" error message otherwise. Enemy's stance does not matter, though.

- Player should be able to do something at the same time when one merc is reloading, like changing a merc. In addition, the reloading logic is silly. If you have a gun with 5 bullets and a box with 2, after reloading your gun has 2 bullets [video].

- Enemies at sector A11 seem to drop guns, but they don't drop anything I could pick up.

- I cannot do anything on my turn except end the turn [video] / [partial log].

- In the previous 0.6.x beta build Spirit sounded so much better, what happened?

- Enemy is punching through a window. When I switch to knife and want to take advantage of the same glitch, the game goes back to realtime mode [1:18].
 - Another case where I cannot use a bandage [9:28].
 - Enemy is again punching through a wall - I seem not be allowed to do the same so he shouldn't either [9:58 / 10:50].
 - Why exactly I cannot move the bandage to the squad inventory? At least I can take stuff from there [11:19].
 - If the container object is looted already, why it's still at present [12:21]?

Report Quote
Deadly3H 14-10-2014, 18:29 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 9

"Second day of testing verifies that clicking transparent menu parts (like deceased merc portraits, weapon fire mode if it cannot be changed for the weapon; well actually all these menu parts) shouldn't make your merc to move."  

This is very annoying.

Enemy should lose "action points" on getting hit?? 5 mercs shot and hit the same enemy in a single round, and he got 2 long distance direct hits off in his next turn. I think this could be tweaked.

Enemy turn takes 30 to 60 secs.

Report Quote
Hyrax 14-10-2014, 19:14 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 195

Quoted JAF Admin :
Quoted Scope112:

They have different stats, which should show that they're more or less experienced..Level is set for levelling up from the point of being hired..Makes sense in that way.

wow level up and still those +10 exp signs flying around. Really bad taste for a JA game.
I don't see how these benefit or make the game in any way better, just crammed some RPG things in JA.

Report Quote
Archo 14-10-2014, 19:35 CET
Pledger

Quoted Deadly3H:

"Second day of testing verifies that clicking transparent menu parts (like deceased merc portraits, weapon fire mode if it cannot be changed for the weapon; well actually all these menu parts) shouldn't make your merc to move."  

This is very annoying.

Enemy should lose "action points" on getting hit?? 5 mercs shot and hit the same enemy in a single round, and he got 2 long distance direct hits off in his next turn. I think this could be tweaked.

This would not have happend if someone listened to the first UI thread where we said: Make the whole bottom of the screen the UI. Like JA2. No transparency there, just click and enjoy. Now I loose AP all the time. Very, very annoying. And the laggy UI with the drag&drop feature...I won't enjoy this part of the game. 

+10 xp doesn't make sense as I don't know how much XP is needed to gain a level. That is just no JA knowledge.

I get why you won't discuss or comment the interruption system. Don't get me wrong, but we showed videos and arguments that you cannot ignore. It just doesn't work as hoped/expected. In JA2 you could e.g. wait 3 rounds, hide behind a wall/house and gain energy back. You don't need an interrupt system for that. And real time (as showed) is not compatible with you approach which is a huge disadvantage. 

I hope you can patch the UI to be usable, not laggy. We will still complain about missing sector inventory and less features in strategic map, but it would be nice if it supports the gamer by playing the game.

Report Quote
nakano 14-10-2014, 20:32 CET
Pledger

More bugs. I may continue testing on Friday, but I think there is plenty to fix already.

- Reported before. The closed door is still passable [6:34 / 9:34].
 - I put a merc into interrupt mode and the game goes into realtime mode [9:04 / 10:43].
 - Mercs are not very intelligble when someone blocks the path [12:32].
 - Vicky refuses to move [15:33 / 16:57 / this log part may help or not, but throws NullReferenceException at one point].

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-10-2014, 11:03 CET
Super Administrator

Quoted Deadly3H:

This is very annoying.

You can actually make them lose AP by shooting them in the legs

Report Quote
Deadly3H 15-10-2014, 13:42 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 9

Quoted JAF Admin :
Quoted Deadly3H:

This is very annoying.

You can actually make them lose AP by shooting them in the legs

Nice! I think 2 of my shots where to the head, maybe that should cost a couple of AP's as well ;P

Report Quote
JAF Admin 15-10-2014, 15:07 CET
Super Administrator

Told Roman that as well..hehe...but at the moment you "just" do extra damage when hitting the head.

Report Quote
Shadow86 15-10-2014, 15:41 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 209

- Yeah the enemies turn takes too much time. They should react immediately. Also the mercs should reload way faster. A Reload sound is still missing. (For the reload button and the mercs weapon)

Report Quote
Grim 15-10-2014, 16:38 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 247

Quoted Shadow86:

- Yeah the enemies turn takes too much time. They should react immediately. Also the mercs should reload way faster. A Reload sound is still missing. (For the reload button and the mercs weapon)

Reload mechanism is still very problematic:

- Reloading locks player's actions. You should be able to click reload and do something else while the merc does it.

- The animation is very long. If the first problem (above) is solved, then it's not that big a problem, but should still be a bit faster. If the lock stays, then reloading should be much faster, one second max.

- As Shadow86 said, there is no reloading sound. Each weapon type should have a different reloading sound by the way.

- The ammunition "boxes" makes no sense. When reloading, the merc puts the content of one box in the weapon. If there is one bullet in a box, he will replace the ammo in the gun with one bullet only. Either you have ammo boxes that stacks all the ammo of the same type, and when reloading the merc takes all the bullets he needs to fill the weapon from all the boxes available, or you have magazines/speed-loaders and the like, potentially partially approvisionned, but you should be able to refill those with each other or from 'real' ammo boxes.

- You should be able to reload weapons from the inventory (out of combat), i.e drag'n'drop ammo on the gun to refill it or switch mags.

Report Quote
Archo 15-10-2014, 19:34 CET
Pledger

When you get 2 or more different ammo types, new bugs will appear. Which ammo will the reload button use? Naturally the one, that is already in the weapon. If not available, use weaker ammo. But if a ammo box contains 1 vs another is full, you sould always take the one during battle which has more bullets. Then of course, automatic reload should only be used if you really need it. It costs 4 AP so you should always reload in the pauses (real time). But then you have the interrupt problem =) 

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines