FORUM

ForumJagged Alliance: Flashback General › Current state of modding

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Wolfgrin 12-11-2014, 22:31 CET

Total Posts: 2
Current state of modding

I'm new to the forum, but not to the game. JA2 is my favorite TBS game ever. I'm not heartened by what I hear from other fans, but plan to buy the latest version soon to support future efforts. I see in some of the posts discussions about mods. What's the current state of modding? I'm sure the community, with proper tools or workable code can do wonders.

Also, I want to say I appreciate the efforts being made and how large a task it is. If we're true fans, we need to stick with the Flashback team a while longer with, if nothing else, moral support. I want this game to work. I want more games like it. 

I can't mod. I can't program. But I'm a damned good writer with a great sense of humor. How can I help?

Report Quote
Glettkin 12-11-2014, 22:53 CET

Total Posts: 90

Simple modding is available at the moment, but the true modding potential isn´t enabled yet, due to problems with the platform ("unity") they are building the game on. But it will be soon.

If you have skills in writing, then you could take part in future (fan made) camapign development, which is possible with the editor.

But in the end "Shanga" is the person you should talk to in this manner. He´s the expert in these things.

Report Quote
Claudius33 13-11-2014, 00:01 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 88

Hello Wolfgrin,

I've made large campaigns for NWN2, so I am not too bad a writer either.

For now, as I started to do it, you can modify the file that contains the dialogs. You just need a text editor such as Notepad++ (use language/javascript option so you can check the delimiters).

Here is what I have done up to now. I have modified some dialogs : Sal and a large part of Garcia. NPCs and RPCs, but no seller yet. The idea is to increase immersion, give characters some breadth and put some more humor. (At least I hope)

File modified : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Jagged Alliance Flashback\game_Data\StreamingAssets\Original\Localization\US\US-dialogs.json

You can find the modified file here :

http://1drv.ms/10SWeh6

The folder contains the modified JSON file and a sample snapshot.

Though you can reacquire the original file through Steam, make a backup first, then replace US-dialogs.json by the new one.

You can switch original and modified file at anytime (exit the game before of course).

As Glettkin said, we'll have to wait and coordinate with Shanga for more ambitious projects

Report Quote
Wolfgrin 13-11-2014, 00:15 CET

Total Posts: 2

Thanks, guys. I'll post to Shanga (do I recognize that name from the old Bear site?) Once I get the game, I'll follow up with your suggestion, Claudius.

Report Quote
Django 13-11-2014, 00:31 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 62

Quoted Wolfgrin:

Thanks, guys. I'll post to Shanga (do I recognize that name from the old Bear site?) Once I get the game, I'll follow up with your suggestion, Claudius.

Yes, thats him. Still active same as the Bears Pit.

By the way there are at least two references to the Bears Pit in JAF.

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 13-11-2014, 12:16 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 716

Hi Wolfgrin - modding is in a rather "conceptual" phase atm. Everyone is testing this and that, trying to figure out if it improves the gameplay or not. Me and a couple of guys have release a few small JSON mods already. Most of them I linked on Bear's Pit FB page.

Full-on modding will start when the game receives its final features and fixes and FC gets to update the map editor and re-enable the Steam Workshop interface.

Even if you're not a coder, I fully encourage you to peek inside JSON files and try to make small changes to weapons, for example. You need no special skills for it.

PS: Yes, a lot of Bear's Pit people are involved in this project, we're keen to get out hands under the hood of this game and mod the hell out of it :)) And yes, there's a Bear's Pit on San Hermanos, but might not be what you expect. :P

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines