FORUM

ForumJagged Alliance: Flashback General › Extended Modding

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Bibmo 27-11-2014, 10:07 CET

Total Posts: 13
Extended Modding

I checked back after some time to see what modding can change. It is still the same state i guess.

Anyway, are there plans to let us mod the gui, textures and strategic map? I still feel very restricted to what i can mod.

To much is hardcoded, what is the reason for this?

The game dont have the best reputation and attention and there are reasons for this imho.

Greets

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 27-11-2014, 12:33 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 799

Strategic map is already modable.

Report Quote
JAF Admin 27-11-2014, 13:19 CET
Super Administrator

Total Posts: 741

To mod the UI and textures you basically need to have access to the source code of JAF. Giving access to to that is actually a huge task on it's own, so don't really see how this could be done easily. 

Report Quote
Django 28-11-2014, 00:16 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 75

Its Obvious that its pretty problamatic to give everyone access to the code.

But cant you externalize more parameters? I dont have an good overview over what is already externalized and how hard it is to do that for more parameters.

What about the colours of the UI? Or its transparency value?

I think the UI mostly uses coluor values not textures. Would it be possible to create an option to use textures insteat?

A very interesting value is of course the positioning of the UI elements. But i guess its rather hard to externalize that.

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 28-11-2014, 12:37 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 799

The problem with the UI was the it was done in a rush, without much thought of it being moddable. So basically to make it moddable, they need to redo it, which would involve a lot of man-hours. 

Imho atm we can live with the UI, like it or not. It may grow on you or it may not, but in the end, what we need are proper FUNCTIONS, not looks. A different less Windows 8/Tablet look would be nice, but there are more pressing issues on the table.

As for the textures, they're a moddable using 3rd party utils, such as Asset Explorer. I've already posted examples of a modified weapon DDS (texture) file that works fine ingame. Making new 3d assets is more complicated and will require a Unity Pro license to create a new asset package, but already we have people who own such license and who would be ready to help packaging the items if needed.

The main issues with modding now are:

- updating the JAF map editor (they're probably waiting to finish all post-release patching in order to do that)

- re-enabling Steam Workshop

- re-externalising sound files (they're waiting on Unity to fix their shit with memleaks)

- more guides on advanced modding (such as programming scripted "scenes" to be used for story telling)

Report Quote
Bibmo 28-11-2014, 21:15 CET

Total Posts: 13

UI:  The game runs in unity right?, why we cant use the functionality from it? Its basicly all there inlcuding documentation, so isnt it possible to hook such stuff out of the code?

Textures: Why the textures have to be in the asset file and not like where the rest modable stuff is?

the modding Is to limited, thats my openion

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines