FORUM

ForumJagged Alliance: Flashback General › bitComposer insolvent...

- You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Blitzlord 07-12-2014, 22:00 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 15
bitComposer insolvent...

Hey, just saw at gamersglobal.de (German gamers onlinemag) that bitComposer, who hold the Jagged Alliance license, are insolvent and entered into administration on December 3rd.

What could this mean for Flashback and the whole JA IP?

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 08-12-2014, 00:48 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 847

For JA:F nothing much, since FC didn't use a cent from bitComposer. For the future of the IP, probably a new owner. I am curious if how much they'd be willing to let the franchise go for... (and wondering if Kickstarter would allow us to raise money for it)...

Anyway, if you're a JA fan and a filthy rich millionaire, this is your chance to buy off JA IP.

Report Quote
Chris K 08-12-2014, 14:03 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 256

I heard that Warren Buffett is a huge JA2 fan and wants to buy the IP and gift it to Bear's Pit in addition to 10 million dollars to make the greatest JA3 anyone would want. Another good news - Valve announced HL3 for 2016.

Yeah - probably not gonna happen (just to be clear - both of those are made up). If there was a filthy rich millionaire out there who is a big fan of the franchise, where was he when JAF needed him? Sadly I don't see much good come out of this. My guess is that anyone looking into buying the IP has one look at the Steam forums and says "no thanks". I really hope I am wrong and of course I wish everyone working at bitComposer all the best. Although I don't love the company, I feel very bad for the people working there and I hope it turns out ok for them.

I would love for BP to get their hands on the IP, but have fun raising a couple of million dollars. I have no idea how much the IP might cost (I researched a bit on Google, but didn't find any numbers about any IP), but you wouldn't just need to buy the IP, you also would need the money for JA3, so I really don't see that happening.

I hope FC's contract is good enough for this not to affect any future plans they might have, if (apart from bug fixes) they have any. :-(
BTW - it would be great to get some info about that. Is there any money they are willing to put into new features or do we have to rely on modders (not that you guys don't do a great job, I am confident this is gonna turn out good either way and I trust FC to continue working with you as much as they can).

Report Quote
Shanga@BP 08-12-2014, 14:07 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 847

Rumor was that when bC bought the IP from Strategy First the number was around 1 million. Could be an exageration, though.

Off-topic... the JA curse strikes again, doesn't it? Makes me think twice about getting near JA IP rights, didn't end well for anyone who touched it.

Report Quote
Lord Hyperlord 08-12-2014, 15:39 CET

Total Posts: 52

Quoted Shanga@BP:

[...]

Off-topic... the JA curse strikes again, doesn't it? Makes me think twice about getting near JA IP rights, didn't end well for anyone who touched it.

Yeah I read the article at Gamers-Global, too (big fan of the old GameStar staff hehe) and this was the first thing to come to my mind. "The JA Curse". 
Maybe we can raise the money by funding a movie about that curse ...

Seriously, it's sad for bC (they are located not far away from where I work) but as mentioned in the article, too, all the games that came out the last 8 weeks or so were rushed. Now I see why. 

Report Quote
Thomas Lund 08-12-2014, 16:04 CET
Administrator

Total Posts: 84

It doesnt have any influence (fortunately) on JAF.

We have a contract that secures the JAF license and the product. We are free to do expansions etc as wanted/needed.

Report Quote
Chris K 08-12-2014, 17:07 CET
Pledger

Total Posts: 256

That's great to hear. Thanks a lot for clearing this up.

I still wonder what it means for JA in general, but I don't see how anybody could know right now, not even bitComposer themselves. We'll have to wait and see I guess and hope that the IP does end up in someones hands who doesn't either do nothing with it or completely runs it into the ground, although I don't have much hope.

Well, at least JAF is safe. That is very comforting to know.

Report Quote
Lord Hyperlord 08-12-2014, 18:10 CET

Total Posts: 52

We won't let anyone take JA:F from us!

Thank you for the statement, Mr. Lund!
Report Quote
Wigen 08-12-2014, 20:08 CET

Total Posts: 36

@Thomas Lund You can expand your mind with respect to this contract or to determine its position on this issue as the leader of the Full Control, please?

Report Quote
Thomas Lund 09-12-2014, 08:23 CET
Administrator

Total Posts: 84

We know as little as everyone else what is actually going on. So I'll reserve the right to wait and hear more about the bC fate.

@Wigen - I am unsure what you ask for, sorry. I'll take a guess, so as mentioned above, we secured the license for JAF (NOT JA) to be with us in case of bC bankrupcy. So there is no effect on JAF as a product.

Report Quote

You have to be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login at the top

Forum Sidebar

Forum Guidelines